changing clutch fluid?

Kelly

Member +
Hi been told our clutch may be playin up so much coz the fluid needs changing rather than the whole clutch itself!
On the starlets, is the clutch fluid the same as the brake fluid system tho?

sx_turbo

Lifer
so how easy is it to change fluid? and what fluid would ya recommend?

easy get some dot 4 brake fluid, you pump the clutch peddle, while ben opens the nipple on the slave cylinder, making sure you keep topping up of the fluid.

EDIT: keep doing this till the resoivior has been emptied 1.5 times.

Last edited:

steveep82

Member +
What is the problem with the clutch? Easy to change, i loosen the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder (on the front of the engine block), get someone to pump the pedal and keep filling the resevoir until the fluid coming out of the slave clyinder is clean. Then tighten up the bleed nipple and sorted. Dot 4 clutch/brake fluid. You can get fancy sythetic fluids if you wish

Kelly

Member +
the clutch just doesnt go in gear sometimes, like at the drag strip if you warm the tyres up beforehand them will no doubt wont go in gear down the strip just doesnt like it!

its never been changed since we had it so must need it? is it worth gettin the fancy fluids or not? for the bhp i mean? or not matter?

what does the slave cylinder look like then?

sorry for all questions :)

sx_turbo

Lifer
the clutch just doesnt go in gear sometimes, like at the drag strip if you warm the tyres up beforehand them will no doubt wont go in gear down the strip just doesnt like it!

its never been changed since we had it so must need it? is it worth gettin the fancy fluids or not? for the bhp i mean? or not matter?

what does the slave cylinder look like then?

sorry for all questions :)

no need for fancy fluids, in the clutch system.

the slave cylinder is on the top of the gearbox at the front of the car, you'll see it when you look. its normally black.