Changing rear shocks issue.

DOnt know if I am being dumb. Cars at the fathers after an MOT fail and i need to change both rear shocks. He has had a look at it and said he has tried to do the upper bolt however it just seems to rotate without actually coming off.

Fooked or are we missing something. I've not had time to have a look but thought i would get a steer before i head over Sunday.

Cheers.

SupaStu

Member +
As far as I know there is only two bolts to come off each rear shock, both are bolted onto the actual car. If its the bolt in the middle it may just be the top nut for the shock, which I think stays on. You also need to unbolt it from the rear beam area.

Yea that happened me also.

Did you jack up the car when trying to loosen it?
If you did then jack it back down again and get somebody to sit in the boot (seriously:p) and try loosen it.
The extra weight on the suspension reduces the chance of it rotating along with the shock.:)

Hope you understand what I mean:)

Also, If that fails you can use a spanner and above the nut on the shock you can clamp visegrips to hold it in place but it didnt work for me as the nuts where way too tight:)

turbo-roj

Member +
I changed my suspension on the weekend mate and the way i did it was to use a 14mm (i think) spanner and a an adjustable spanner, put the 14mm spanner on first, then ise the adjustable spanner to hold the little nipple on the top (use 2 people tho, one to hold the adjustable spanner and one to turn the nut) take the suspension off the car first tho bud, loads easier!