Clutch Slip with new Paddle Clutch??

IppyEP82

Member +
Hey guys, just wondered if somebody could give me there opinion on this please as im not too clued up on clutches...

I had a new Excedy Paddle Clutch (from Camskill) fitted afew weeks ago but i am getting clutch slip occassionally if i accelerate hard in 1st or 2nd. Just wondering what your thoughts on this are? Could it be something to do with the flywheel or it hasn't been fitted quite right or simply a dodgy unit!?

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mark-ep91

Member +
what power are you running?i have one and its perfect im just over 200 bhp id be guessing and seen them run 300 no problem

did your flywheel seem warped or damage by the old clutch that came out of it?

IppyEP82

Member +
I'm not sure what power i'm running exactly but i would guess about 190ish which is why i'm surprised its slipping as it should be able to cope easily!

i'm unsure if my flywheel was warped as i wasn't there when it was changed over but i would of thought the guy doing it would have said something!

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Usually the clutch would slip more in the higher gears, 4th and 5th, does it only do it in 1st and 2nd?

dark_knight

Member +
really spuddy? i though slip would be more evident in lower gears because that's when the rev-range difference between engine- and road-wheels rpm is greatest..?
& IppyEP82, how exactly would you describe that it's slipping..? could be wrong diagnosis..? just saying..

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
Easiest way to check if its slipping is to put it under load in 4th (from 40kms right up)

That or stop,pull up the handbrake and try to take off in second,if the back doesn't pull down or the revs shoot up somethings is amiss

weeJohn

Lifer
Check the fork going into the gearbox is seated properly and the cylinder is returning fully. Neither of these things would make any difference in any gear, but it rules them out for a starting point.

Are you sure its not wheel spin lol?

IppyEP82

Member +
Check the fork going into the gearbox is seated properly and the cylinder is returning fully. Neither of these things would make any difference in any gear, but it rules them out for a starting point.

Are you sure its not wheel spin lol?

ok thanks i will give them a check tomorrow aswell when its light.

i'm pretty sure its not wheel spin lol, as it doesn't feel quite the same but i wil get someone to drive beside me just to double check!

mark1991

Member +
i have the same thing lads, but i got an exedy stage 1 fitted brand new and it slips on first and some times second gear. i am running standard boost on a standard ct9!

goldenvtr

Member +
did you run it in before hammering it everywhere? my emx5's padle clutch took about 500miles before it would take over 12psi of boost, i did have a new flywheel also

Murray

Member +
Did any of you resurface the flywheel? Your meant to so the clutch has got the best chance of bedding in.
Rorys Exedy has been in his car for over 3 years now and it has seen some serious abuse. Never slipped once.

dac69er

Super Moderator
if you can floor it in 1st and 2nd with the roads how they have been without the wheels spinning then you have bloody good traction.

i would say its most likely the whels spinning.

IppyEP82

Member +
Just to say that my clutch is now fine. It just needed a couple more hundred miles to bed in properly. I was just abit inpatient and didn't give it long enough.
Thanks for all the guys who helped in the first place though.