Clutch trouble, any info appreciated

1_3LStarseo

Member +
1st and 2nd gears seem to be applying too much pressure on the flywheel, the clutch makes no noise, no vibration, and there's no grinding; but I can hardly rev through 1st and 2nd without the engine wanting to bog down and stall. even though once I hit 20mph I can shift to 3rd and it's fine. It bites and drives all right after that...

Was thinking it was the release bearing in the clutch going itself, but the other gears are fine, so maybe not? Mechanic said for a new clutch, just labor and not parts, would be $500. He also wanted the pilot bearing. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's the clutch release cylinder? When I'm selecting 1st and 2nd gears it slides into the H pattern at the shifter too loosely it feels like, it's not as "chunky" as selecting the gears used to be and that makes me wonder if it's the cylinder and not actually in the transmission itself.

Thanks for any help!

Brendanlez

Member +
If its not making any kind of a squealing/humming noise I doubt very much its the release bearing. Did you try to just bleed it there may be a small air lock in it causing the clutch not to engage fully.

And your mechanics price is far to expensive, shop around you will get someone alot cheaper than that

1_3LStarseo

Member +
Going to definitely consider this as a possibility, I checked my reservoir and it was extremely low... shame on me.

Thanks for the suggestion, rep for the advice!

:cool: