Coolant temp spikes :-S

MaccyD

Member +
Hi all, i was wondering if anyone could shed some light on an issue ive been having. Under normal driving the temp is absolutely fine and no issues, but then if i get to some traffic, even if i havent been booting it, the temp will spike up to max. Then today i was driving home, quite quickly, and the temp was fluctuating mssively, going from normal, to way over max, though my rad never blew and i was taking it very cautiously by then. Is this most likely my temp sensor? Or possibly thermostat?

Useful input apreciated.

Thanks in advance.

goldenvtr

Member +
first thought would be sticking thermostat, easy check, just take it out and go for a drive. wont do any harm just take a few extra mins to get up to normalish temp

weakboy2

Member +
well get the car upto temp and check if the rad is hot, if it is, the stat is working, although i guess it could be closing again. for 12 quid or whatever they cost you may aswell bung one in as they are prone to failure.

but if its going way over max, your car would pretty much be dead right now. you can always check the voltage/resistance the temp sender is putting out whilst the car is running and if it is that you will see a spike on the multi meter.