Coolant

Hawwy

Member +
Why is glanza coolant going down after about 50 milea going down a litre?
Not smoking white , no mayo on dipstick and oil cap
Not overheatin

Td05 turbo

Rad cap is 1.1 bar

have you checked all your lines could be a small split in it ? might not see it untill the car is under load :( i had this problem a while back but it was coming from somewhere and eventually the hg went so could be the start

5e colin

Member +
do u have aftermarked hose kit by any chance

i have and my pipes wont tighten properly on the heating rad whit the oem clips give that a check i replaced the oem clips with jubilee clips
and check for a leak in the rad if it aint burning water check the sparkys to check

Last edited by a moderator:

dac69er

Super Moderator
do u have aftermarked hose kit by any chance

i have and my pipes wont tighten properly on the heating rad whit the oem clips give that a check i replaced the oem clips with jubilee clips
and check for a leak in the rad if it aint burning water check the sparkys to check

the heater rad pipes are really thin and bend easily. both i have removed have needed to be reshaped before fitting the new pipes. that was most likely the reason they didnt seal with the oem clips

Hawwy

Member +
Yes i have aftermarket hoses

Funny thing is that expansion tank always stays full

Whats best way of checking?

Hawwy

Member +
Yes i topped up yesterday drove for like an hour and i had to put 1 liter in morning

Been told just before boost and on boost it gives out black/grey smoke if that makes a difference

Last edited:

AdamB

Member +
Sounds like you probably got a crack/hole in the radiator. Does it only smoke when the engine is up to temp, ie the thermostat has opened.

Jay

Admin
Black smoke will be fuel so probably not related to your coolant issue mate.

I've seen them pressurise the cooling system before (my auto is actually doing it at the minute). When you park up after a run is the coolant bottle pushing coolant out? I get a nice splash of coolant around the chassis leg the bottle sits on and after a proper run it can leave a drop or two on the ground.

Jay

Hawwy

Member +
Also plugs are okay just have bit of oil on the threads of plugs, no water electrode side is clean,
Also the piston tops are clean just normal carbon

Jay

Admin
Indicates the cooling system isn't working efficiently.

Start checking/donoring/renewing parts in order of cost but I'm 99% certain my headgasket is the culprit. In my case sedate driving causes no obvious issues but after a bit of hooning the system pressurises and it pushes out enough coolant to allow overheating. I figure a weakness in the headgasket is letting cylinder gases into the coolant system which pushes the coolant into the reservoir bottle. This then ends up on the ground instead of the radiator. The harder I push the engine the more displacement I'm seeing.

Not saying yours is the same prognosis but I know this is what I've been seeing get steadily worse since last year. Admittedly my roadtrips to the other corners of Ireland aren't helping matters but still!

Hawwy

Member +
Mine not pushing into reservoir bottle neither is it pulling.
Also my pcv valve when i move it side to side it has play could that have something to do with it, feels kind of loose.

Last edited: