Crack windscreen

Big_Daddy

Member +
Wanted to know what are the penalties for driving witha crack in the windscreen? Mines has develovped a long hair crack (arms lenght on the driverside).wont have the money to replace it yet but wanted to know what would the cops say if the spot it? :confused:

dac69er

Super Moderator
dont think the cops can do anything mate. maybe give you a 7 day producer or a non conformance letter thing so you have to sort it within 7 days.

tbh if your not being a dick and giving the police a reason to pull you i would say you would be fine. you can say it just happened, they wouldnt know.

i would try and get it done asap though, do you not have window cover on your insurance? a new screen will only be about £120 if you had to pay for it outright anyway. i would try and borrow the money if you could

dac69er

Super Moderator
I went to Autoglass about 2 months ago for one, and they quoted me £559 fitted?!? :O

yeah, that was probably for a genuine toyota one. if you say its an import they always seem to qoute for a genuine screen. plus autoglass are a rip off.

used a local bloke and he fitted it for £120 ;)

Big_Daddy

Member +
dont think the cops can do anything mate. maybe give you a 7 day producer or a non conformance letter thing so you have to sort it within 7 days.

tbh if your not being a dick and giving the police a reason to pull you i would say you would be fine. you can say it just happened, they wouldnt know.

i would try and get it done asap though, do you not have window cover on your insurance? a new screen will only be about £120 if you had to pay for it outright anyway. i would try and borrow the money if you could

well im just real short of cash atm but i will get it done asap, i forgot to apply for it when i took d policy. but it works out d same as d exccess is 75quid, to get it fitted myself would set me back 118 (btw it aint a starlet ;) )
You cant get any points or fines for this ? right

Rumel786

Member +
Chips or cracks in the windscreen directly in front of the driver, in the area swept by the wiper blades, are acceptable if they are less than 10mm in diameter. In the rest of the swept area, up to 40mm diameter damage is acceptable.

So not always illegal.

Last edited:

Big_Daddy

Member +
Chips or cracks in the windscreen directly in front of the driver, in the area swept by the wiper blades, are acceptable if they are less than 10mm in diameter. In the rest of the swept area, up to 40mm diameter damage is acceptable.

So not always illegal.

mines about 20-30cm of my driver side. lol

Arnold

Lifer
Hot air will make it worse, so you know. Keep the heaters off it if you have to drive!

My corsa one split from left to right all the way across. Going over a bump etc it could have shattered, so i got it changed. You don't want it giving way when your doing 70 down a motorway!

Big_Daddy

Member +
Hot air will make it worse, so you know. Keep the heaters off it if you have to drive!

My corsa one split from left to right all the way across. Going over a bump etc it could have shattered, so i got it changed. You don't want it giving way when your doing 70 down a motorway!

Mines went just went worser just by bein parked plus it was quite chilly outside too. Had the car checked, he states it wont give just like that due to layers somethign about shatter as well... Just need to get it booked in by him whn i have the cash

Stulet-GTT

Member +
Friend of mine got 3points an £60 fine for cracked windscreen...

Can you not get it done on insurance if ya fullycomp???

I got mine done on my GTi an it was £50 and it didnt effect my no claims bonus..

Big_Daddy

Member +
Friend of mine got 3points an £60 fine for cracked windscreen...

Can you not get it done on insurance if ya fullycomp???

I got mine done on my GTi an it was £50 and it didnt effect my no claims bonus..

yeh got a quote for 118quid, so will be doin that, works out d same, 20 quid for the cover option + 75 for the excess. so not much differnt

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Got my windscreen replaced 2 weeks ago, it would've been free if it was chipped but mine was cracked and cost £70 via insurance.