ct9 rebuild kit? anyone tried?

nicky_glanza

Member +
Well fellas in need of a turbo as mine is getting smokier and smokier.
so i seen a ct9 rebuild kit for sale on the net on several websites and was wondering
if anybody has rebuilt one before? is it hard to do and worth while? and i can understand its only a seal replacement kit and bearings etc as my wheels and fins are hundred and ten percent :)

any help much appreciated before i buy

nicky

dac69er

Super Moderator
ive rebuilt one but not got round to using it yet. everything fit fine and it wasnt too hard to do. hardest bit was getting the big circlip off and back on the intake housing

to do this properly you need to reballance the rotating assembly, to rebuild it isn't really hard its the ballancing machine which is stupid money which is why turbocharger companies charge alot more money for rebuilds because they know people aren't going to be able to do it themselves.

it might work for a while but it will eventually fail if not ballanced, it might just eat the seals or worst case it explods and takes the engine out with everything it sucks back through

not worth it in my opinion

Tim :)

nicky_glanza

Member +
to do this properly you need to reballance the rotating assembly, to rebuild it isn't really hard its the ballancing machine which is stupid money which is why turbocharger companies charge alot more money for rebuilds because they know people aren't going to be able to do it themselves.

it might work for a while but it will eventually fail if not ballanced, it might just eat the seals or worst case it explods and takes the engine out with everything it sucks back through

according to the fella who knows his stuff he sells these rebuilds kits and the fact that its the original shaft and turbo itself etc
there is no need for balancing?

I was thinking exactly this. Well apart from the bit that says Tim lol

lol :)

well the guy obvioulsy can't know his stuff if hes telling you that. the problem is the compressor blades just screw onto the shaft. there isn't a spline its just held on by the nut on the front so that compressor can be put onto that shaft in any orientation. hense when ever that compressor wheels comes off the turbine shaft you have to reballance the rotating assembly

nicky_glanza

Member +
ahh no worries! found a fella close to home that does it in ballymoney direction so all is good! cheers for the imput fellas will let you know how its goes.
just out of interest not that im too worried how much is ballancing? are we talking hundred ish??

depends if he'll do it seeing hes not rebuild the turbocharger, remember most places charge £400-500 for rebuilding a turbocharger with what is basically £30 worth of parts.

might turn round and say hes not going to ballance something he hasn't built himself because he can't garantee the work etc

nicky_glanza

Member +
very true mate although my dad has had garrett ones etc done before a couple of years back. only one way to find out :)
but i will find out tomorow and lets yous know. cheers for the input im a bit clearer now :) all have been repped

danturbo4311

Member +
I can get them balanced in the london area for £30, when you strip it down its a good idea to get parts sand blasted this allows you to check all the parts for any wear & small cracks you may otherwise miss, its common on older turbos which have continued to be used when parts have worn to find wear on the shaft (which means new shaft & turbine) this will probably damage the CHRA were the seal goes which means no matter how many seals you put in, it wont stop leaking unless you replace the CHRA or machine it & fit oversize seals.