D you need to change driveshafts-lsd

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
Do you need to change driveshafts when upgrading to an aftermarket lsd or is it just the standard optional lsd thats has different shafts?

Im looking at 1way trd diff

Thanks
Dan

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
You can use the same shafts if using an aftermarket diff, if you wanted to get a gearbox with a stock OEM LSD then yeah you would need to have equal length shafts. You would only need to change the N/S shaft though. The stock LSD was a bolt on affair (non factory - dealership) and used to equal shafts to eliminate or at least reduce torque steer.

In answer to your question you can get a TRD LSD and as long as specific will work without issues. Worth replacing the diff bearings and if it's new make sure you ware it in according to the manufactures procedure to avoid accessive ware.

Tobs

steo800

Member +
Do you need to change driveshafts when upgrading to an aftermarket lsd

no

or is it just the standard optional lsd thats has different shafts?

Im looking at 1way trd diff

Thanks
Dan

both non lsd box and lsd box have different size shafts.

there is 3 different length shafts on the starlet-

passenger side is the same length in both cases

lsd box drivers side has shortest shaft

non lsd box drivers side has longest shaft.

if you have the non lsd gearbox, and are putting an (aftermarket) lsd in, you use the same shafts again

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
You can use the same shafts if using an aftermarket diff, if you wanted to get a gearbox with a stock OEM LSD then yeah you would need to have equal length shafts. You would only need to change the N/S shaft though. The stock LSD was a bolt on affair (non factory - dealership) and used to equal shafts to eliminate or at least reduce torque steer.

In answer to your question you can get a TRD LSD and as long as specific will work without issues. Worth replacing the diff bearings and if it's new make sure you ware it in according to the manufactures procedure to avoid accessive ware.

Tobs

no

both non lsd box and lsd box have different size shafts.

there is 3 different length shafts on the starlet-

passenger side is the same length in both cases

lsd box drivers side has shortest shaft

non lsd box drivers side has longest shaft.

if you have the non lsd gearbox, and are putting an (aftermarket) lsd in, you use the same shafts again
Cheers lads,quick and to the point

BTW steo800,your mani still didnt crack,lookimg at getting it set up for external W/G too :)

steo800

Member +
ah she should hold strong!!

maybe get onto wepr and see what he thinks about adding in wastegate, if it would weaken it etc....

would sound sweet though.

next time i do a turbo conversion on a car, im defo going external gate

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
ah she should hold strong!!

maybe get onto wepr and see what he thinks about adding in wastegate, if it would weaken it etc....

would sound sweet though.

next time i do a turbo conversion on a car, im defo going external gate

Well it'll be done by a precision engineer,just need the specs

Actuators are a pain in the arse
off topic-You going to the court in july or april?

steo800

Member +
yea im defo itching to bring the rx up there.

have no idea when ill get around to it though, but im sure ill bring it up sometime before winter starts setting in again

Big_Daddy

Member +
when fitting the new lsd (after market), its just the lsd it self and the new bearings, any thing else? I have herd about 2way lsd, what other versions are there? lol

jamesbaa

Member +
when fitting the new lsd (after market), its just the lsd it self and the new bearings, any thing else? I have herd about 2way lsd, what other versions are there? lol

from what iv heard most road car's use 1.5way diffs and race cars tend to use 2way diffs, i think its something to do with how aggressive the 2way is which makes it to much off a handfull for road car's!!

http://mazdarotaryclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=338382

hubbygt

Member +
ive had the gift of having both a 2way cusco diff and a trd 1.5way diff in my time with starlets and from imo the 2way diff is set up for track as it locks up on acceleration and de-acceleration