d2 coilovers vs. standard set up with lowering springs

brownyboy

Fresh Recruit
Basically I love the starlet but the D2 suspension set up is so harsh on some of the roads that i drive alot of the time on.

Do you know if glanza suspension will fit a GT quadlight model as I have found some on ebay

the plan is to go back to stock suspension with some lowering springs and sell the D2s

What are your thoughts?

bumblebee

Member +
Were they set up professionally?

Camber, dampening etc

If not, I think that should be your first approach

You can also change the springs to lower the spring rate which might be cheaper and less hassle than gatting another set up

yes EP91 and EP82 uses the same suspension setup so they will both fit. in my opinion D2s are really gd and i like their ride altough abit harsh as you said

brownyboy

Fresh Recruit
Were they set up professionally?

Camber, dampening etc

If not, I think that should be your first approach

You can also change the springs to lower the spring rate which might be cheaper and less hassle than gatting another set up

Yeah they were set up by the pros, got the reciept but cant remember at the mo who did them. Are you saying that d2 do other springs that you can buy on there own? Will making the ride slightly higher improve the comfort as then the springs will have more travel in them?

bumblebee

Member +
Yeah they were set up by the pros, got the reciept but cant remember at the mo who did them. Are you saying that d2 do other springs that you can buy on there own? Will making the ride slightly higher improve the comfort as then the springs will have more travel in them?

Ride height shouldn't matter with coilovers...contact D2 and hear what they have to say..

I don't think there are any coilovers or shock and spring combo that will give you the same ride as stock (although there are a few that come really close)..you have to decide..performance or comfort

D34dly

Member +
A friend of my has D2 also and i find it indeed a bit of harsh..

I have MeisterR my self and they are great.. i have them on stand 8 and they drive great and have still a bit of comfort.. My daughter isn't complainig (she is 10 month old) and my girlfriend didn't feel the differents ;)

addz

Member +
yes EP91 and EP82 uses the same suspension setup so they will both fit. in my opinion D2s are really gd and i like their ride altough abit harsh as you said

Correct. I think they are a touch harsh, but still love mine. Doesn't help having them on the hardest setting.

graep91

Fresh Recruit
shocks

has any one tried lowering springs with adjustable shocks ? thats the route i was thinking of want my car low and still a bit of comfort.

MeisterR

Lifer
my girlfriend didn't feel the differents ;)

That is the ultimate test of suspension comfort!!! :D

Coilovers doesn't have to be necessary harsh if they are specified correctly, it is just most coilovers have "Racing" attached to them so they design them to be stiff.
While this are great on track... it isn't very good on the normal uneven fast road that we have to drive on everyday.

End of the day, Coilovers is just adjustable dampers with springs in one unit...
It is just because they come in one unit, you can design everything to work together and therefore provides a better end result.

Last edited:

glanzanut

Lifer
has any one tried lowering springs with adjustable shocks ? thats the route i was thinking of want my car low and still a bit of comfort.

mine is standard shocks on rsr springs and handles like a go kart, im a backroad driver though so coilovers wud be useless for me