decat- can i cut the wire comin off it?

as above can i cut the wire coming off the top of the decat? the end of the wire is like a plug and is plugged into sumfin but cant get my decat off unless i cut it cos its blocking the last bolt on the decat

dark_knight

Member +
oxygen sensor

noooooooooooooooooooooo!
that's the o2 sensor. you will need that mate. you should be able to unbolt it from the decat. either than or remove the plug on the other end of the wire..

dark_knight

Member +
exhaust mani bolts: how to

get lots of penetrating oil (wd40) and be generous with it. let is soak for a couple of hours then whip out your dog-leg ring spanner and give them a tug. use the ring end of the spanner otherwise you'll just round off the nuts then you'll have a bigGER problem.. :)
if you hear creaking while trying to undo the nut, STOP! & check that you are not cracking or warping the bolt head. that can happen if you over-torque it..

all the best..

dark_knight

Member +
thing is, did you let the wd40 soak in..? adequately..? it doesn't work as well when it's a rush job of spray-wait-2-minutes-then-try.. :p

the heating approach requires a lot more concentration so you can get a mate to help you, with an extra pair of everything; hands, eyes and brains :)
it does make the difference// :D

aidan

Member +
use a ratchet with a 6 sided socket not 12 sides they tend to slip easier and if ur aratchet is good quality do as corofin said and put a pipe on it aswell

sound for all the replys, got it off anyways lol after bout an hour haha. what is the lamba sencor for anyway? the plug on mine was all cracked and broke inside it so would that have caused anyn damage?

dark_knight

Member +
lambda (oxygen) sensor

your engine management (ecu) needs information from the lambda sensor on how well the engine is burning fuel by measuring the amount of oxygen in the exhaust. this in turn tells the ecu by how much more or less to fuel, also based on a lot more information got from other sensors: air temp, coolant temp, manifold pressure etc. all this happens.. before you've had time to cough :D

so yes, you really do need the o2 sensor, in good and proper working form. get a pic up of how badly damaged yours is. we may be able to advice on whether to leave it as-is or replace.

here's a much much muuuuuuuuuuch more detailed explanation from wiki.. :)

heres a pic of the broken plug

Photo0513.jpg

dark_knight

Member +
wait a minute, the bit you are holding.. it came off the sensor side (at the exhaust) or it came off the other end of the wire..?