Detecting exchaust/maniold leaks

Blak_Mamber

Member +
I can see a small, thin hairline crack toward the top of my decat about an inch long but doesn't look like it would let any gasses out... also I can see in the middle of my wepr mild steel manifold what looks like a crack between the welds, but its hard to tell if its actually gone all the way through or its just a surface crack as its got a lot of surface rust.

How can I tell whether its actually got a leak or not?

I am trying to narrow down what is causing the burning oil smell in my car.

Cheers,
Lewis

H_D

Member +
if it was blowing you would be able to feel it if you hover your hand over it whilst its ticking over. it usually makes a ticking noise too.

dac69er

Super Moderator
go to the toilet, get a sheet of toilet paper and hold it near the crack ;) if it flutters the paper you have a leak. make sure you do this on a still day, not very easy to do on a windy day!

Blak_Mamber

Member +
lol cheers guys, i'll check it out, the paper seems a good idea as I couldn't really feel anything with just my hand over it. Will report back :D

dac69er

Super Moderator
lol cheers guys, i'll check it out, the paper seems a good idea as I couldn't really feel anything with just my hand over it. Will report back :D

its an old skool mechanics technique. before all these new fangled computers came along ;)

Paul_JJ

Member +
I can see a small, thin hairline crack toward the top of my decat about an inch long but doesn't look like it would let any gasses out... also I can see in the middle of my wepr mild steel manifold what looks like a crack between the welds, but its hard to tell if its actually gone all the way through or its just a surface crack as its got a lot of surface rust.

How can I tell whether its actually got a leak or not?

I am trying to narrow down what is causing the burning oil smell in my car.

Cheers,
Lewis

Well it's pretty simple actually -

1) take pics put them on the forum -)
2) Listen to the ticking noise
3) MPG will drop a bit
4) Power will drop - especially the punch when on the full boost