diagnostic

finch53

Member +
hey, since im new to the starlet world. just wondering where the diagnostic plug is and what should i use to bridge it. sorry if this is a daft question, im still learning.
cheers.

finch53

Member +
also, would this tell me whether my car has an ignition problem, like with the dizzy cap etc?
ta very much.

Jay

Admin
If nothing is flashing then you need to recheck the connections - it will flash continually if there are no faults in the system.

You need to bridge E1 and TE1 together to enter diagnostic mode. If you are unsure of the pins to connect there is a guide inside the plastic cap of the diagnosis connector.

Hope that helps,

Jay

finch53

Member +
just done the diagnostic, says everythings ok...
if the problem was the dizzy cap would it have shown up?
and is 95 unleaded causing the problem? just a thought, doesnt affect my friends though.
phil.

Jay

Admin
If you suspect the rotor arm, dizzy cap, plugs or leads to be causing a misfire it would be much better to physically inspect them mate. Have a look at them to see condition and replace/donor parts as needed to pinpoint your fault.

All are wear and tear items so replacement will be worth it in the long run. Especially as any original components are at least a decade old by now.

Jay

JayEP82

Member +
you are shorting the correct pins, but first you need to remove the short pin in the diagnostic plug (small metal pin)
ensure the ignition is off when shorting the pins and turn it on when ready.
if you get a code you can either google it, or tell me and will look it up for you.

finch53

Member +
car is going in for proper diagnostic check in an hour, there is a new dizzy cap on, everything else looks fine, im out of ideas, only thing i can think is that the timing isnt set properly. can only hope now :(
thanks for all the help though, will report back later with any results.
cheers.

1998glanzav

Member +
car is going in for proper diagnostic check in an hour, there is a new dizzy cap on, everything else looks fine, im out of ideas, only thing i can think is that the timing isnt set properly. can only hope now :(
thanks for all the help though, will report back later with any results.
cheers.

Best of luck with it. Let us know how you get on :)

finch53

Member +
well... £35 later and still no answer, their diagnostics brought nothing up just like when i did it myself, they put the pipes back on the bypass solenoid and the car isnt missing (even though it was before i bypassed it)
ive just got home, changed the pipes back so its bypassing it, gone round the block and everything seems fine :confused:

just one thing i forgot to ask them, its idling at 1000rpm, has done since i got it, this seems high to me personally, what do you think could be making it idle to high? plugs?

cheers, phil.

durmz

Member +
well... £35 later and still no answer, their diagnostics brought nothing up just like when i did it myself, they put the pipes back on the bypass solenoid and the car isnt missing (even though it was before i bypassed it)
ive just got home, changed the pipes back so its bypassing it, gone round the block and everything seems fine :confused:

just one thing i forgot to ask them, its idling at 1000rpm, has done since i got it, this seems high to me personally, what do you think could be making it idle to high? plugs?

cheers, phil.

starlets seem to idle all over the show mate, mine idles at 1600 if its real cold lol

u havent actually mentioned the problem mate? whats wrong with it? missfiring?

finch53

Member +
its was spluttering between 2-3000 rpm. had a proper diagnostics done on it today and they didnt find any problems with it, so a waste of £35 i believe, but it seems to be running fine now... just still idling at 1000rpm, so thats nothing to worry about?

any ideas on the right plugs to use? not checked whats in but when i asked the place i got it from what plugs theyd put in they couldnt answer me lol.

finch53

Member +
still idling at around 1000rpm, but put some ngk iridium bkr7eix plugs in and so far so good, no more spluttering/ juddering.
cost £28.57 which i dunno if its cheap or not but one place wanted £11 odd a plug!
had some denso pk20r11 plugs in prior.
cheers for all the help lads.