dilemma

string gt

Member +
just want peoples opinions on reliability to boost ratio. a few threads say 1 bar on td04 is reliable. other threads say 1.2. then theres driver n blair who run over 1.2 for long periods. so with the right map will 1.2 be reliable or is it best running a bar till i forge. don't fancy running 1.2 for short period and engine go on me then have to go in debt to forge, without car for a few weeks etc if you know what i mean.

any reply would be nice

Joelean

Member +
People have run 1.5 bar on stock internals, not saying it lasted long but it has been done. 1 bar on a Td04 is perfectly safe providing the right support on a stock engine, in my opinion properly even safer than on a ct9 that is running out of puff at that point. raising the boost past that, to say 1.2 bar the quality of tune is goin to play a part in the engines life span as well as the orginal unit condition. wacking the boost up on a tired engine with 110,000 on the clock is properly going to cause a fair amount of blow by etc... really isnt as simple as yes or no, im sure other members will have other opinions and first hand experience of this setup. cheers joel

AdamB

Member +
Depends on the condition of the engine, a low mileage engine will be able to take it, aslong as it's a good map. An engine thats done a fair few miles will be much weaker. It's all down to the map, but even then a map can't stop mechanical failure!

somal

Member +
its all in the tune, theres a starlet i know thats run 18 psi boost with a gt28r turbo on stock internals and AEM computer, reliable for 3, 10 lap race and still standing

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Exactly as Somal said. Its all in the tune and how healthy your engine is. It mights last years or it might not, its a chance you take it with tuning any car.

string gt

Member +
ok thanksa. well engine on 66k. always serviced etci'm thinking 1.1 for a happy medium. thanks for all replys guys.

rwdstarlet

Member +
i was running 1.2 everyday hard as she wud go,standard internals,has 174k on her, and 1.3/4 on race days in my glanza with td04,fpr and fcd.had the car 1 year engine never gave one bit of trouble, i still have the engine nw shes in a boxy starlet.