DIY Rebuild?

gmangt

Fresh Recruit
Ok seriously how hard is it to rebuild an engine with new enternals??

What parts do you really need to send off ie. machine work lightened and balanced bottom end etc.

How do i get the compression ratios and torque settings for well EVERYTHING in english idealy.

Cheers guys

gmangt

Fresh Recruit
my mate is a grease monkey and he knows how to setup the techy stuff just the overrall idea of building ure own engine cant be to hard right every bolt fits a certain hole dont it soo how hard can it be?

sx_turbo

Lifer
its a pice of piss.

the toyota piston rings dont even require you to hone the cylinders, so you can rebuild the engin by leaving it in the car.

or you can do it properly and take it out.

basically dude it's just good old common sense.

gmangt

Fresh Recruit
thats the exact answer i wanted to hear can you do it in a day with the bits?

Because i cant have the car off road need it for work.

TurboDave

Member +
its a pice of piss.

the toyota piston rings dont even require you to hone the cylinders, so you can rebuild the engin by leaving it in the car.

or you can do it properly and take it out.

basically dude it's just good old common sense.

Although I wouldnt like to bed new rings in on smooth bores.

I wouldnt say it is easy and if you dont know what you are doing you could waste a lot of money realy quickly.

What are you talking about anyway? Full rebuild and re-bore? rings? Big end shells? etc etc

starlet666

Member +
yeh kinda gotta say exactly what u wanna do cause if u havent done it b4 it could get messy really quick...i have just slapped a motor 2gether b4 and it ran really well but there was one i slapped 2gether that ran for about 20 mins and gave up... it depends on alot of things mate really dont do it if u dont think ur capable

sx_turbo

Lifer
Although I wouldnt like to bed new rings in on smooth bores.

I wouldnt say it is easy and if you dont know what you are doing you could waste a lot of money realy quickly.

What are you talking about anyway? Full rebuild and re-bore? rings? Big end shells? etc etc

im not saying its a good idea im say it can be done.

the toyota rings are made specially so the bores dont need re honing.

although i still recomend you get this done, and the block can still stay in situ when this gets done.

big end shells you may aswell replace while its all apart,

it is easy, you just need common sense and think about what you are doing.

he says he has a mate who can do all the technical things so i really dont think it be much of a problem for him.

i done a full rebuild with my dad and the only thing we didnt change was the front and rear crank seals, as that would have meant to much time which we didnt have.

one key thing is to make sure that everytime you put something back is make sure there is plenty of oil on it, so that when you go to start it it wont break. (i.e. when putting the big end shells back make sure there coated in oil etc etc)

i would also recomend buying a haynes manual for a 1.3 corrolla with a 4efe engine, this will help greatly with all the awkward parts and give you the correct torque settings.

the rebuild i done is still going strong and made very good smooth power on the rollers for the mods i had.

gmangt

Fresh Recruit
thanks for all the advice guys yea my mate can help he is a qualified engine mech/builder so it should be a doddle with the tricky bits will have to send bits off for lighting and balancing, boring out and skimmed etc.. but the assembly process should go quite smoothly we think we could do it in 3 days once all the parts and prep work is done.

cheers

TurboDave

Member +
I am not saying it cant be done because I know in your case you were very sucessful, but when he is asking can it be done in a day etc it doesnt fill me with confidence. He will most probably be able to do it but if you try rusing you will more than likely end up with egg on your face.

:)

im not saying its a good idea im say it can be done.

the toyota rings are made specially so the bores dont need re honing.

although i still recomend you get this done, and the block can still stay in situ when this gets done.

big end shells you may aswell replace while its all apart,

it is easy, you just need common sense and think about what you are doing.

he says he has a mate who can do all the technical things so i really dont think it be much of a problem for him.

i done a full rebuild with my dad and the only thing we didnt change was the front and rear crank seals, as that would have meant to much time which we didnt have.

one key thing is to make sure that everytime you put something back is make sure there is plenty of oil on it, so that when you go to start it it wont break. (i.e. when putting the big end shells back make sure there coated in oil etc etc)

i would also recomend buying a haynes manual for a 1.3 corrolla with a 4efe engine, this will help greatly with all the awkward parts and give you the correct torque settings.

the rebuild i done is still going strong and made very good smooth power on the rollers for the mods i had.