Do i need to be forged to run high revs?

perreau

Member +
Hi guys and girls,

As above, i was wondering if i need to have forged pistons and rods to be able to rev at 8k and over.

Can i just upgrade my cams and springs to do that? And will my EMU be able to get rid of the rev cut limit? I see a check box in there which allows to do that.

Skalabala

Member +
I won't push the engine that hard without a good standalone and a good tune.
You change the standard EMU by changing the crystal inside. Google it a bit.
should also be some info on tgtt of it.

ALaN

Member +
High revs place alot of stress on the rods, so yes, forged rods are required for a high revving build. As for needing them with an 8k limit, I'm not sure as most of the plug and play ecus, that are supposed to be for basic setups, raise the limit to 8k.

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
just a question on this... sorry for hijacking the thread, buy why do you want to run high revs anyway? I thought the partial reason behind turbo charging is to get good bhp / torque gains without having to rev the nuts of the car, giving it more 'usable' power as the power delivery is lower in the rev range?!

AdamB

Member +
You will need to atleast change the rods for forged items and get the whole bottom end balanced. As for 8k rev limit, I don't think you need to
as said above, some of the piggybacks like Jam, blitz etc raise the rev limit to around 8k.

@Pilgrim, it depends on the turbo setup, if you are runnig a large turbo which don't spool up till 5.5k rpm then you might want to raise the rev limit as the turbo still may have more to give once you reach the stock limiter. It also varies on the duration of the cams
being used.

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
You will need to atleast change the rods for forged items and get the whole bottom end balanced. As for 8k rev limit, I don't think you need to
as said above, some of the piggybacks like Jam, blitz etc raise the rev limit to around 8k.

@Pilgrim, it depends on the turbo setup, if you are runnig a large turbo which don't spool up till 5.5k rpm then you might want to raise the rev limit as the turbo still may have more to give once you reach the stock limiter. It also varies on the duration of the cams
being used.

thanks, repped

perreau

Member +
Thanks guys, i am running the Godzilla kit and i was advised that i need to shift at around 8K, hence the question. Rep added.

sx_turbo

Lifer
the stock engines can handle 8k revs max, thats what the jam ecu's rev limit is,

i wouldnt take it up there to often though

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
My goodness, your running the Godzilla kit on a stock bottom end? @You must be running a very conservitive boost setting?

perreau

Member +
My goodness, your running the Godzilla kit on a stock bottom end? @You must be running a very conservitive boost setting?

Spuddy, the plan to forge is there, its just not so soon :) I was just wondering if i do the cam and spring upgrades, if i will be able to rev at 8k.

I will bringing the boost to 1bar soon. I am still on 0.6 now :) Beast is still sleeping ;) Then when forged, it will be in business!!!

@sx_turbo R u saying that with the stock springs and cam i can rev to 8k with proper tuning on the EMU?

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Excellent, look forward to seeing more of this setup!

Personally if it was me on a stock bottom end, I'd feel comfortable reving to 7800rpm on a GT bottom end, the Glanza bottom end I'd just not feel comfortable pusing.

What spring/cam setup have you decided to use?

sx_turbo

Lifer
thats what the jam ecu's do, and the other types of ecu like that like the mines, blitz etc

i wouldnt feel to comfortable doing it all the time, but once in a while isnt gonna hurt it, you will need some degree of mechanical sympathy, thats one of the secrets to making your engine last a long time

perreau

Member +
@Spuddy Still deciding........any advice?

@sx_turbo i will bear that in mind

Last edited:

Nickzorz

Member +
Excellent, look forward to seeing more of this setup!

Personally if it was me on a stock bottom end, I'd feel comfortable reving to 7800rpm on a GT bottom end, the Glanza bottom end I'd just not feel comfortable pusing.

What spring/cam setup have you decided to use?

Anothier hijack (sorry0 Whats the difference between the two? I thought the engines were identical. Thanks

sx_turbo

Lifer
nobody has evidence that glanza rods are weaker, yes they are thinner but that doesnt necacerilly (spelling) mean they are weaker

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
oooo I did not know that rep for you sir

is it not that gt rods are thicker, although glanza rods are thinner, they are made of a more lightweight and stronger material, but being thinner this sort of balances the two different types out?

I remember reading that on here not so long ago...

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
is it not that gt rods are thicker, although glanza rods are thinner, they are made of a more lightweight and stronger material, but being thinner this sort of balances the two different types out?

I remember reading that on here not so long ago...

Read that too, I personally don't believe a word of it, seen alot of glanzas with broken rods and not one GT and my own I pushed hard on the TD04.