Double Din to Single Din Head Unit

Djaniero

Member +
Had a search around but couldn't find a definitive answer lads.

Can anyone tell me what I'd need to change my original double din head unit to a single din plus storage beneath?

I ideally would like to have a single din head unit, with a cupholder/storage underneath if possible.

Also with the front dash speakers, can I just replace them with any aftermarket 4inch speakers?

Thanks for any info

Jay

Admin
So long as you have the two side brackets for the original stereo you should be able to pick a single DIN stereo and a DIN sized storage tray then just bolt them in.

The factory DIN storage tray part number is 55521-16030 and they weren't too dear from Toyota. If you are stuck a universal jobbie from eBay should fit nicely too. You could be fancy and add some JDM scene points with a Toyota multi box or secret box too..

secret%20box.jpg

Djaniero

Member +
So long as you have the two side brackets for the original stereo you should be able to pick a single DIN stereo and a DIN sized storage tray then just bolt them in.

The factory DIN storage tray part number is 55521-16030 and they weren't too dear from Toyota. If you are stuck a universal jobbie from eBay should fit nicely too. You could be fancy and add some JDM scene points with a Toyota multi box or secret box too..

secret%20box.jpg

Jeeeze. That storage compartment is JDM to the core :cool:.

I have never removed the oem system...its a Mini-Disc CD System, so I assume its original...could be wrong though.

I wanted something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1xCar-Au...=133052626767ac659a46febd46708136cf2708653c8c

But after looking at the stock Toyota Din Tray...the side brackets look different to the ebay one

...so unsure if the cheap ebay cupholder one will fit?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/55521-16...=33261058394052d90bc0434e47c3944d1b63ed2a8227

I have some Toyota single din blank plates if you want one :)

Pm me with a price SKINY!:cool:

SKINY

Lifer
That first one you could always drill a few new holes in the Toyota bracket on the current unit, any pics of it ?
The blank plates I've a dose off, msg me an address sure and ill post one out bud

TylerGlanza

Member +
That universal one should fit. I bought a universal din slot for the misses n/a and it had the multifit options like the above fits just fine

Djaniero

Member +
That first one you could always drill a few new holes in the Toyota bracket on the current unit, any pics of it ?
The blank plates I've a dose off, msg me an address sure and ill post one out bud

Thanks a lot. PM enroute. I'll take some pics of my current head unit in the morning.

That universal one should fit. I bought a universal din slot for the misses n/a and it had the multifit options like the above fits just fine

Thats good to know. Thanks Tyler.

Does anyone know if I will have any issues with replacing the dash speakers? I was just going to get some pioneer ones like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-...rentrq:5d2bca2816b0a4e883c26d6fffd8b8b6|iid:1

The inside if the speaker - Is the tweeter section?- is raised where as the oem ones will be flat I assume. Do you think the pioneer ones will fit ok?

TylerGlanza

Member +
Ive got some pioneer 2 way’s in mine and they fit fine. The screw placement is tight but they fit. There is a gap between the plastic and the speaker so allows the room.

Djaniero

Member +
Wickid.

Heres the unit thats in it now. Looks mega old skool. But I'm unsure whether or not its aftermarket or factory?

Attachments

• 20190616_102521.jpg
    20190616_102521.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 5

SKINY

Lifer
The passenger side speaker is fun to change:Don the GT it was easier with the dash out, it's possible like but have need wee rubber arms
Generally any 4"/100mm speaker that's flat will fit, I've 2 120watt Kenwood's in the dash, only 1 used :rolleyes:

Djaniero

Member +
Thats an aftermarket one, see allot of addzest stuff on jdm cars, speakers ect.

I thought it may have been

The passenger side speaker is fun to change:Don the GT it was easier with the dash out, it's possible like but have need wee rubber arms
Generally any 4"/100mm speaker that's flat will fit, I've 2 120watt Kenwood's in the dash, only 1 used :rolleyes:

Orr man. I was reading that changing the speakers can be a PIA, :(. I someone said lay the seats flat, lay doown with head under the dash... Ffs lol.

Djaniero

Member +
Quick update guys.

So Drinks holder fit, but the plastic surround part of the dash wouldn't go back over it...gutted. I think I'm going to attack it with a dremel, as its only a small part of the dash plastic that is catching on the holder.

I got these speakers and only fit the drivers side so far:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIONEER-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

But my god, they're terrrible. The oem speaker sounds soooo much better. Maybe I was expecting too much from a £20 pair of speakers? lol

SKINY

Lifer
Yea a wee trim should do it bud, for any decent sound from front speakers a 2 way component set with tweeters for the dash would be better, focal are good but can be pricey

dac69er

Super Moderator
i used some cheap 10cm speakers and they were fine. i have a feeling they were an older version of what youve bought?

nothing amazing, but acceptable for what they are.

are the wires round the right way on the speakers? it doesnt always make a huge difference, but worth a try.

Djaniero

Member +
Yea a wee trim should do it bud, for any decent sound from front speakers a 2 way component set with tweeters for the dash would be better, focal are good but can be pricey

Have you got any links to the Focal ones man?

i used some cheap 10cm speakers and they were fine. i have a feeling they were an older version of what youve bought?

nothing amazing, but acceptable for what they are.

are the wires round the right way on the speakers? it doesnt always make a huge difference, but worth a try.

Yeah, I changed the wires the opposite way around but still suuuper quiet in comparison to the oem speakers. I thought the new ones would be a good improvement overall ? The only other thing I thought - probably not - was that I have 2 different speakers fitted?

SKINY

Lifer
It's been many a year since I bought any but Google them bud
9/10 times driving it I use the exhaust and flutter sounds as the radio :cool::p

dac69er

Super Moderator
Have you got any links to the Focal ones man?

Yeah, I changed the wires the opposite way around but still suuuper quiet in comparison to the oem speakers. I thought the new ones would be a good improvement overall ? The only other thing I thought - probably not - was that I have 2 different speakers fitted?

quiet doesnt necassarily mean they are poor quality. it is probably due to being a lower sensitivity than the standard speakers. your new speakers are probably more suitable for being externally amplified.

if you purchase some speakers with a higher sensitivity, you will essentially get a higher output for the same amount of input (louder).

yours are 87db, whereas something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JVC-420-...604647&hash=item3d3b92fcb6:g:bqUAAOSwlndZHiFN
are 90db.
that would give you a noticeable difference.

Reactions: Jay

Djaniero

Member +
It's been many a year since I bought any but Google them bud
9/10 times driving it I use the exhaust and flutter sounds as the radio :cool::p

Lol, that's me 95% of the time tbh. But it's good to have some background tunage to compliment the exhaust and induction sound at times :p

quiet doesnt necassarily mean they are poor quality. it is probably due to being a lower sensitivity than the standard speakers. your new speakers are probably more suitable for being externally amplified.

if you purchase some speakers with a higher sensitivity, you will essentially get a higher output for the same amount of input (louder).

yours are 87db, whereas something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JVC-420-...604647&hash=item3d3b92fcb6:g:bqUAAOSwlndZHiFN
are 90db.
that would give you a noticeable difference.

You literally can't hear the speaker Dunc, unless you adjust the balance all the way to the right - new side I fitted- and even then unless the volume is cranked up to silly numbers you can't really hear it.

Would 3db really make that much difference dyou think?

dac69er

Super Moderator
3db is about twice the sound pressure. This doesn't quite equate to double the volume, but it would be noticeably louder with the same input.
It does sound odd that it is that quiet though. Are both sides the Same with the new speakers? Have you tried swapping the speakers side to side to see if the issue follows the speaker?