Draining battery

-Harry-

Member +
Hi,

Every time I park my car for more than 4 hours, the battery goes flat. The alternator is charging well giving 13.6v when working and the battery is a new one a definitely holding its charge. If I disconnect the battery when I park, theres no problem.

When connecting a multimeter as part of the circuit, it fluctuate between 0.01 and 0.02 amps. Is this enough to drain the battery over 6 hours? Only things changed since it started was aircon re-install and head deck. Unplugging the head deck showed the same reading though.

Any help from the electrical people?

Cheers

Harry

dac69er

Super Moderator
do you have an alarm or immobiliser? are any of your electronic tuning parts permanently on?
your charging voltage does seem a little low as well, mine charges at about 14.4volts

-Harry-

Member +
Ive spoken to two other people with GT's locally and they both said they get 13.5volts at idle.

The only things wire to continuous power is the central locking and the memory wire for the head deck.

No alarm or immobiliser. Apart from the stereo and central locking, the electrics are entirely stock.

sx_turbo

Lifer
hmm that is a strange one, it might be best to get a vehicle electric technician out to look at the car mate

ep_chen

Member +
slight chance of a batt with fault although it is new. perhaps if you could swap a different batt to try. if the same still happens, it must be the wirings. alternator looks to be charging fine.

-Harry-

Member +
Ok, while in the car fully disconnecting the central locking and stereo, I heard an occasional clicking noise coming from the drivers door. I think it was the power window motor trying to engage. Anyone had this happen before? Their only on accessories power?

Anyway I wired the stereo and central locking back up and just unplugged the drivers side window control panel which was bloody hot )not a good sign(. So ill see if it dies tomorrow morning.

Anyone had trouble like this before?

Cheers

Harry