ebc unlimited boost problem

squidge218

Member +
Welded up the old actuator bracket today and is now boosting quicker then it was but as i had to disconnect the battery to weld , the ebc has reset its self and now doesn't stop boosting it has unlimited boost normally set to 1.2 bar but now just goes straight past that .before it would light up red and keep at 1.2 bar now it wont under the "boost" settings it is set to 1.2 but its obviously not working any help would be appreciated

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
What welding have you done to the actuator?

What EBC?

Have you tried turning the EBC off and checking the boost?

Cheers

Mike Jones
Tuning Developments Ltd

squidge218

Member +
welded the old actuator arm shut havent been able to open up the turbo to weld up the internal wastegate was boosting fine before hitting 1.2 bar and keeping at that now it just goes way past that when it is still set to 1.2 i have a blitz ebc , cant turn the ebc off as i have no boost gauge as i use my ebc for it !

Texx

Super Moderator
Turn the channel setting to OFF, that will disable any adjustment being made and boost will be controlled by the wastegate alone. Double check the hose from the turbo to the lower port on the wastegate hasn't come loose or split.

squidge218

Member +
im near to redruth mate ! this boost controller worked fine this morning but then welded the actuator arm shut and now it goes straight past 1.2 , yes got an ewg will try that now texx

J25GTi

Lifer
ah im up near launceston, have you disconnected the wastegate and connected it to the top nipple of the ewg then?

squidge218

Member +
i havent changed no pipeing or anything today the old actuator arm was welded shit ! so i beat the weld off and welded it correctly so it is closed as much as it can be , switched the channel setting to off and still doing the same thing !

J25GTi

Lifer
take a vac pipe from the turbo pressure nipple to the top nipple of the ewg and see if it will just boost to the spring setting

Texx

Super Moderator
Remove the hose from the top port on the wastegate and let the port vent to atmosphere. If the turbo still over boosts, then you've either a leak in the hose between the turbo and lower port of the wastegate or there's an issue with the wastegate itself (leaking diaphragm, valve stuck closed etc...).

Which wastegate are you using?

Texx

Super Moderator
take a vac pipe from the turbo pressure nipple to the top nipple of the ewg and see if it will just boost to the spring setting

Turbo compressor should be plumbed to the lower port, the top port is for boost control only. If the top port is directly connected to the turbo compressor the wastegate will never open.

squidge218

Member +
using a tial external wastegate is it safe to drive with that pipe removed ? what should it boost too with that pipe removed?

Texx

Super Moderator
With the top port vented to atmosphere boost pressure will be regulated by the spring, so it'll depend on which spring you have in the gate.

squidge218

Member +
so took that pipe off and it is still over boosting :/ was fine this morning drove like 15 miles home and was hitting and keeping boost fine !

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
so took that pipe off and it is still over boosting :/ was fine this morning drove like 15 miles home and was hitting and keeping boost fine !

Did you just run a single line from the compressor housing to the wastegate middle port? or just simply unplugged the top port of the gate?

Cheers

Mike Jones
Tuning Developments Ltd

Rory

Lifer
Disconnect all the vac lines from the ext/wastegate, and run a single line from the turbo to the bottom port of the ext wastegate and see what it will do.

weeJohn

Lifer
You will probably need to change the solenoid ports from normally open to normally closed to get it to work with an external gate.

What sort of EBC are you using?