ECU Help - EP82 (N/A) to UK Spec EP91

EP91_Chris

Member +
I know this is best place to come to for ECU help, so here it goes.

I have found a Mines standalone for a N/A EP82 Jap spec. Well I'm guessing as there is only 2 plug, FTE's require 3 iirc?

Is there any differences between JDM N/A EP82 and UK spec EP91? Would I have to source a EP82 loom? I doubt the UK spec EP8 loom will suffice as they are 2e engines.

Cheers in advance.

Edit:

Photos of the ECU

Last edited:

weeJohn

Lifer
Manual gearbox EP82 4EFTEs all have 2 plug ECU`s Chris. The 100 bhp, EP85 4EFE had a 2 plug ECU, if its deffo for an n/a then it will probably be for that. Even the early EP91 UK 4EFE`s had a 2 plug ECU, it was only from mid 97 on that they went to 3 plug, when the electric airbag and SRS system went in. All EP91 4EFTE`s came with a 3 plug ECU, as did the EP82 4EFTE auto`s.

The UK spec cars wiring loom is made up differently from the Jap spec looms, they have wired the ignition system, the TPS and MAP sensor and injector wiring differently. The components are basically the same, as are the ECU connections, but whats in between is different.

Last edited:

EP91_Chris

Member +
Awesome info john, did not know that. Jay just informed me that the ep82 came with the two plug as well. Looks like this is for a turbo. Much to my disappointment. I did have my suspicions that this was for a turbo. Only ever heard of a JAM ECU for the N/A, but that's like rocking horse shit.

Cheers for the info John, but I am certain this is for an fte now.

weeJohn

Lifer
Why dont you try bumping the base timing up to 12 or 14 degrees before TDC instead of the normal 10, if you are using good fuel it will help release a little more power.

EP91_Chris

Member +
Only seeing this now John.

The timing is a hard one on mine. I'm running one of those CJ crank pulleys and there's no markings on it so its only set by hand.

I will get it marked up next time the covers are off etc.

5e colin

Member +
dont be going crazy with the timing on a mines they do not like it they runn silly amounts off it , i know i had 1 wish i never sold it , by far the best for gt in my eyes