Engine build help

DarrenGT

Member +
Hello people.. I'm wondering could anyone give me advise on what to buy for a gud 170-200bhp ep82?? I've the block on my stand and wondering what to get 

standard spec rebuild with a hybrid ct9 turbo or td04 will see 180-220bhp with right suporting mods, standard turbo will see around 170-180bhp at a bar with mods and management etc

weeJohn

Lifer
If you are going to strip it down then why not check the pistons are sound and get the bores honed and fit new rings, good idea to get the block and head skimmed, fit a 1.4mm gasket and use ARP head bolts. This will give you a tight non forged engine that should deliver good power with a mid size turbo running about 1 bar.

DarrenGT

Member +
Well going more than likley TD04.. Was just going to put forge pistons, cylinders bored. Im waiting for acl bearings and full set of arp bolts..
What issues would i encounter with standard ecu OR would there be any??? Also fitting hks fcd.

GTwayne

Member +
For the power your looking for you really don't need to forge, unless you may want more at a later date.

Your only need to change the standard ecu if you go 14psi or more as your want the best tune possible.

matt walters

Member +
Would be a lot better off with.some sort.of management mate against a fcd.

If.you have a look through some.build threads you can.see from dyno results etc the.difference management has compared to an fcd.

Its obviously more expensive.and i.spose it depends what you want.from.the car.

Even.something like a apexi safc used with an.fcd can make a difference if.set up correctly.

Whatever you decide make sure.you get your feuling checked as if its not right the.engine won't.last long at all :)

weeJohn

Lifer
Rather than put your money into just forged pistons and not rods I would put my money into management. Only point in going forged is if you are going further with power, which is a good possibility once you take the first step lol.

You can run a TD04 at 1 bar on the stock ECU with an FCD and RRFPR, it will give you 200 easily, with an ECU you could get another 20-30 more without being aggressive on the map. You are going to need a clutch once you get over 200 so there is another price you need to factor in.

AdamB

Member +
Yes you can, can run upto about 1.1 bar safely, depending on whos mapping it and if its a good map. Will run even better on a healthier engine ;)

DarrenGT

Member +
I was gona stay with the standard ecu.. Just TD04 Kit, Fpr, air filter relocation and have a brand new hks exhaust system

AdamB

Member +
Going the fpr and fcd route is a crude way of managing your fueling, although it is tried and tested. In all honestly you would be better off even going for an emanage blue, you can get a lot of gains from ignition advance. The money you pay for forge pistons, you can pick up an emb :)

DarrenGT

Member +
Aww i dont know what to do ha.. il have to have a good think on what im gona do.. Its my first build so dont wana spend money thats needed to be spent! Maybe if i go back to it tomoro it might be build itself ha...

DarrenGT

Member +
Thats a gud result!! If i put the car back together BOX standard, standard turbo etc etc would that emange blue thing make a differance????

DarrenGT

Member +
At this stage me looking at the block on my stand, i tink il stick to standard and just build it up standard.. Heads wrecked tinking of what to do.. I dont no that much about all these different things you can get for the ecu and stuff! I think my best bet is to clean the snot outa everything, have it looking shiny and sexy and il just lie saying it has 500bhp haha

DarrenGT

Member +
me and you might no its a small turbo but other people wont!! il say inside that lump on the manifold is a twin turbo inside a turbo and i also have a hidden supercharger in the sump haha:)