Engine builders ! I'm gonna loose it

braindamage

Member +
@weeks after building my 5efthe,my crank went and so i got me a new one and replaced it .After i put the engine back in i begun smoking .While idling it would be letting of a light smoke but when i accelarate it ,a cloud of smoke would come out the exhaust.I changed the valve seals about 3 weeks ago and now over the easter holidayz i changed the piston rings and it the same thing.Yesterday i pulled out the exhaust manifold and started it and the smoke was coming out the head so i know is not the turbo.CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME PLEASE!:beer:

350ep70gr

Member +
Have you mesure the end gap of the new rings?
Have you fitted them the right side and not upside down?
Have you cross them so the end gap is not aligned each other?
Have you press the valve stem seals enough down the valve guides?
Is standard pistons or forge?
I believe you replace the gasket aswell with a new item:p

Chris

braindamage

Member +
Actually ,we did a leak down test yesterday and my friend who did it said the engine is perfect and he cant understand why it is doing that:(

350ep70gr

Member +
well all of the above except the head gasket:confused:

Standard pistons or forge?
Do you remember any number when fit the rings in the bore?(end gap)
Have you made a comp test?
How many miles have you done after rebuilt?

Constant smoke indicates ring prob..
When pressing the gas let and press again smoke means valve stem seals.

Chris

braindamage

Member +
Hey 350ep70gr ,i opened her up again yesterday and what i saw shocked me.Although the piston rings are new ,there was still alot of oil in # 4 exhaust port and the piston had a big enough gap in the cylinder which was causing the piston to slap . I placed # 4 @ tdc and placed my hand on it and i could rock it back and forth.i Also inspected the cylinders and they were fine.

Phil

Super Moderator
ive heard of shops boring the 4cyclinder a thou out because it gets the warmest being the last to get the coolant on a 4e.

but that sounds extreme.

Phil

350ep70gr

Member +
Obvious incorect clearence in the bores.
What you should do is to mesure the cylinder and mesure the piston further down from the pin (skirts diameter).
If this is ok (acceptable) you have faulty rings inside (broken,incorect size).
Could be a snaped ring during installation or something .
If you want to expain further what you need to do let me know.;)
You should have a small play when pushing the pistons from side to side by hand but nothing too big. If it is too big it is something from what i said or a worn block.

Chris

350ep70gr

Member +
ive heard of shops boring the 4cyclinder a thou out because it gets the warmest being the last to get the coolant on a 4e.

but that sounds extreme.

Phil

Sounds stupid i d say...:p
If you want to do something like this you better leave a bigger end gap for the rings and thats all.

Chris

Phil

Super Moderator
Sounds stupid i d say...:p
If you want to do something like this you better leave a bigger end gap for the rings and thats all.

Chris

haha the guys how did it screwed my crank up so i aint really saying that they are anyone to go by lol

Phil

braindamage

Member +
i dought its a worn block as this engine only has 64,000 km on the dial although i could be wrong.I had 2 other mechanic friends look at it and they both said it look as if the piston had shrinked .When the crank spinned the bearing ,it was also walkin and that i believe placed alot of stress on the pistons and i was getting iron filings on my magnetic drain bolt and the bearings are perfect.So most likely the filings were from the pistons

350ep70gr

Member +
i dought its a worn block as this engine only has 64,000 km on the dial although i could be wrong.I had 2 other mechanic friends look at it and they both said it look as if the piston had shrinked .When the crank spinned the bearing ,it was also walkin and that i believe placed alot of stress on the pistons and i was getting iron filings on my magnetic drain bolt and the bearings are perfect.So most likely the filings were from the pistons

Pistons are from aluminium mate and deffo not catchable from a magnet..:p
You can have a deformation tho..from extreme temps..but i can not answer this for sure.Was the skirts of the piston scratched from contact to cylinder?
The only way is to take it out and mesure it. And the bore aswell..so you know wich of the two is your problem.

Chris

350ep70gr

Member +
haha the guys how did it screwed my crank up so i aint really saying that they are anyone to go by lol

Phil

haha..dont ever go back there Phil...:shoot:
The two midle cylinders are the hotter regardless wich route is the coolant goes.
Thats why all 4 bike cylinders with carburators have the two midle injectors (not the right word ..i mean the niple who suply fuel in the carburator) bigger. For additional cooling of the midle cylinders.
Best tecqunique from my point of view is to heat up the block at operation temp and rebore it and use the tightest allowed clearence from the manufactor. (Like mine ;))

Chris

350ep70gr

Member +
Hey 350ep70gr ,i opened her up again yesterday and what i saw shocked me.Although the piston rings are new ,there was still alot of oil in # 4 exhaust port and the piston had a big enough gap in the cylinder which was causing the piston to slap . I placed # 4 @ tdc and placed my hand on it and i could rock it back and forth.i Also inspected the cylinders and they were fine.

^^^

Did you replace the PCV Valve? When mine was blocked up before it left the car smokey (same symptons as yours)

100%what you say but i think his problems is more internall!;)

Chris