Engine check

Ian_w

Member +
Last night the engine check started to come on. It only happened when i was boosting it a bit in 5th iirc. When the engine goes off so does the warning and only comes back on sometimes when i was boosting. I noticed how cold the air was last night, because the engines running temp didnt get as high as it normally does.

I've bypassed the low boost, and got a cone filter on. I'm guessing fuel cut? Until the check light came on and I slowed down, it was moving like a bat out of hell! I'm going to do a diagnostic read out later see what it says. But there's no code for fuel cut is there?

edit: Also, does anyone have a diagram of how the set up was originally, i wouldn't want to get tubes mixed up and break something? :)

Ian

Last edited:

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
Check the ECU for fault codes, bridge T1 and TE1 (IIRC) on the Diagnostic Port and turn the ingition on, the engine light will flash, a long flash stands for 10 and a short one stands for units, example 3 long flashes and 2 short is fault code 32. If you only have the one it'll repeat after a short pause, if you have more than one they will be one after the other.

Ian_w

Member +
haha nah its wilkinson.

i tried to do a diagnostic check, printed out the guide.. Can't find the port though.

quick update. Couldnt get it to replicate the fault today. Ambient is probably 9 or 10 degree's more then last night. So i think it must be close to fuel cut! Time for mods? :D

Ian_w

Member +
Done it again tonight. Once the air was cold and dense. Looks like im close too the cut then.. At least i can relax now, knowing what it is. Time to go back to the airbox i think :)

thechomper

Member +
try avoid hitting fuel cut for the time being, as it can damage the engine ,dont just add a fcd,it's the easy route,get other supporting fuel mods first ,as you could ruin your engine otherwise ,have a look round the site mate,plenty of info

Deano

Banned
By hitting fuel cut it won't damage the engine it's there to stop damage to your engine but if you fit a fcd you will damage your engine as the car will run lean you will need a fpr as well as a fcd

Ian_w

Member +
i'll be modding it properly for sure. I don't think i've hit the cut just yet. As it names suggests, it cuts the fuel? So it will be like hitting a rev limiter?

Jay

Admin
By hitting fuel cut it won't damage the engine it's there to stop damage to your engine

True in theory mate but not in practise. Repeatedly bouncing off fuelcut is a surefire way of doing ringland damage. There is a split second where the car runs uncontrolled.

thechomper

Member +
True in theory mate but not in practise. Repeatedly bouncing off fuelcut is a surefire way of doing ringland damage. There is a split second where the car runs uncontrolled.

thats what i tought ,if you constently hit fuel cut ,in time it can damage the engine,did 'nt know it was ringlands ,so spot on Jay

Jay

Admin
My second GT got a hard life.

All I'll say is that we learn from our mistakes and I don't mind others learning from mine too! :)

GTnomez

Member +
is a walbro pump just as important as the fcd n fpr?? i have the fcd n fpr n i wanna up the boost but havent got a pump yet, i will get one later....is it vital??

Jay

Admin
Not vital no.

Just remember that your standard pump is over ten years old. The fuelling must be measured to set those items up as previously discussed. Your local tuner can advise in detail.

Cheers,

Jay

GTnomez

Member +
so i can up the boost and get it set up on RR without the pump, but later on down the road, well not too long summit like a week or so i can add the pump with no problems?? obviously i wont thrash it or ne tin,

thanx jay, you always have the answer lol

Jay

Admin
Whenever fitting something that has an effect on fuelling - get it rechecked immediately. I test my own cars every step of the way. Whether it be an air filter or an air freshener! ;)

yan

Member +

But why his car does not do jerk off thing like putting you outside. I no every car is different. MAy be his on the border of f cut, if that the case will it damage anything. Thnx

Jay

Admin
Yes, it doesn't sound like his car is cutting hard but the principle is the same. Repeatedly hitting the factory failsafe is never a good idea. It's the difference between a good solid reliable setup and a dead one.

As Ian has already twigged, he needs to sort this before it becomes an issue.

I'd also bet that once the winter weather kicks in it won't react the same as it is doing at the moment.

yan

Member +
Yes, it doesn't sound like his car is cutting hard but the principle is the same. Repeatedly hitting the factory failsafe is never a good idea. It's the difference between a good solid reliable setup and a dead one.

As Ian has already twigged, he needs to sort this before it becomes an issue.

I'd also bet that once the winter weather kicks in it won't react the same as it is doing at the moment.

Got it jay, thnx.