engine hesitation?

GT_Chris

Member +
Right....recently my car has been going slow since i turned the FCD to setting 12......so tonight i put it back onto the setting 7, which it was originally on

The car seems faster, but when your in 3rd or 4th gear and put your foot down, the car hesitates, it like judders and gives the odd backfire, but soon as the revs build up past 4.5k its fine? anyone how what it is?

GT_Chris

Member +
airflow meter??? idle control valve???

Ive got a spare ICV here so i could always pop that one on and see if its any different.

Wheres the Airflow meter located to?

Also since putting the FCD back to setting 7 ive noticed the boost has came down, which is good, before it was boostin around 1 bar with the FCD turned off.

corofin12345

Member +
Ive got a spare ICV here so i could always pop that one on and see if its any different.

Wheres the Airflow meter located to?

Also since putting the FCD back to setting 7 ive noticed the boost has came down, which is good, before it was boostin around 1 bar with the FCD turned off.

only a sugestion now.. probably not the problem..its like a black box on the back of the inlet manifold..plug out connector.. car wont idle propperly but drive it and c if the problem is still there.. also check small hose 2 map sensor for cracks or leaks

air flow meter...
P1010227-1.jpg

Last edited:

GT_Chris

Member +
or could be something simple like fuel filter clogging up..

Ok mate cheers for that ill give it a try tommoz and report back

Also i found that my car revs freely upto the limiter now, before when i turned the FCD off it used to splutter after 6k for some strange reason.

dac69er

Super Moderator
sounds like fuel cut to me. if it doesnt do it on one setting and then you turn it down and it starts doing it i would say it is most likely that.

sometimes fuel cut wont bring up an engine light or an error code.

corofin12345

Member +
Ok mate cheers for that ill give it a try tommoz and report back

Also i found that my car revs freely upto the limiter now, before when i turned the FCD off it used to splutter after 6k for some strange reason.

keep goin back so mate.. if its running better at 7 keep goin back and c if its better... not all fcd's can b the exact same as each other..

GT_Chris

Member +
keep goin back so mate.. if its running better at 7 keep goin back and c if its better... not all fcd's can b the exact same as each other..

Do you mean like keep going down another number like 6,5? or go up 7.8.9 etc?

I tried it on setting 9, hesitation went abit, but the car seemed abit sluggish so put it back to 7.

GT_Chris

Member +
ya keep at it untill u find a happy medium... :)

What if the happy medium is at setting 3 lol wont the car run really lean with these HKS FCD's?

plus i shudnt really be playing with it cause i aint got no supporting fueling mods, but i do keep my eye on the boost gauage and try not to go too mad on the loud pedal

corofin12345

Member +
What if the happy medium is at setting 3 lol wont the car run really lean with these HKS FCD's?

plus i shudnt really be playing with it cause i aint got no supporting fueling mods, but i do keep my eye on the boost gauage and try not to go too mad on the loud pedal

haha.. well 7 up 2 off is recommended but if the problem continues i suggest u try other things.. when its sluggish in fourth does the boost drop off on the gauge??

GT_Chris

Member +
haha.. well 7 up 2 off is recommended but if the problem continues i suggest u try other things.. when its sluggish in fourth does the boost drop off on the gauge??

7 up 2 as in 9?......no i dont think it does drop off mate. it just judders and gives the odd backfire. could it be running abit rich?

Texx

Super Moderator
air flow meter...
P1010227-1.jpg

That's the throttle position sensor, the 4E-FTE doesn't use an airflow meter.

Chris, I recommend that you remove that FCD before you damage another engine. You need to rectify the boost creep problem you're getting or fit the required modifications that will allow the engine to safely run the amount of boost pressure the turbo is creeping to. If you haven't the funds to buy the upgrades, then your cheapest option is to enlarge the wastegate as much as possible and if that doesn't cure it fit the stock inlet and exhaust until you can do it properly.