Ep82 gone, now back with mr2 turbo in need of help

baconfrys

Member +
Hi folks been a while, as above I've now got a mr2 turbo with a boost problem,will not go above 0 on boost gauge and at idle it has vacuum, she has a leak at manifold gasket but would that be enough to cause no boost? Suppose to have a gt4 engine fitted..... Don't no if that's good or bad any thoughts...

weeJohn

Lifer
Celica engines tend not to have the coolant system problems that old MR2s suffer from, as they dont have the huge system the MR2 has, so they are a good replacement option. Its making some boost if it goes to 0, but is this an aftermarket gauge you are checking this off?

The mr2 and celica engine is identical mate apart from a couple of brackets which bolt to the block. But even then the holes for both usages are there. The mr2 actually has the better cooling system because it uses 13ltrs compared to the celica 5ltrs. This is show as an advantage when pushing over 400bhp where the mr2 will sit on track all day long where the gt4 will start to creep up in temperature as the laps go on.

so when you take the car out you can floor the car and you get 0 boost? any whistling noises?

there are a few options here, either you have an intercooler hose blown off which will cause this. Very flat, no boost but you will hear the turbo working. This is a simple fix.

The other is a bit more drastic but i've seen it quite a lot. Those turbos use a ceramic turbine and shaft and are common to snap off if over-boosted to much. Typically the turbine snaps off the shaft and disappears down the exhaust. Shaft is still in place preventing oil leaking everywhere. This again will give 0 boost, very flat but you won't hear any noises at all.

Some will say actuator but even with the actuator removed and wastegate door just flapping around you'll boost creep to a about half bar by redline anyway.

Let me know and i'll try my best to help you. The 3sgte is my forte.

Tim
TB Developments