Fan switch wiring

Chris_14a

Member +
Has anybody ever wired a switch in for the engine fan on a glanza if anybody has any ideas were to wire it. Cheers chris :)

craigant

Member +
cut the cables off the fan
run the negative cable from the fan to the chassis
run a wire from the positive on the battery to the switch, put a fuse inbetween this
run a wire from the switch to the positive fan wire

Where about in warrington you from mate?

fishman

Member +
Mine is contstantly on from the previous owner. Ill be out sunday chris we can sus it out of what craig said, bring some wire.haha

Chris_14a

Member +
I don't want it on constantly that's why I want to put a switch in :) it's because I've had a low temp stat fitted so my fan dosent cut in. And when I'm sat in traffic it gets way to hot for my liking on my gauge. So I would like to be able to control it from inside the car.

Fisher we can have ago at yours the glanza has changed alot since you seen it :).

Craig yeah that was me at shell I got you on Facebook aswell I think

craigant

Member +
I don't want it on constantly that's why I want to put a switch in :) it's because I've had a low temp stat fitted so my fan dosent cut in. And when I'm sat in traffic it gets way to hot for my liking on my gauge. So I would like to be able to control it from inside the car.

Fisher we can have ago at yours the glanza has changed alot since you seen it :).

Craig yeah that was me at shell I got you on Facebook aswell I think

I know i didnt even realise until there other day lol

weeJohn

Lifer
Does the fan switch on the thermostat housing not work?

If it does and you want extra control, connect a wire from the thermostat housing fan switch to one side of the switch you want to control it from, then connect the other side of that switch to earth.

That means the fan will only run when the ignition is on and the thermo switch will also operate it.

Stu-

Member +
cut the cables off the fan
run the negative cable from the fan to the chassis
run a wire from the positive on the battery to the switch, put a fuse inbetween this
run a wire from the switch to the positive fan wire

Where about in warrington you from mate?

Sorry but I wouldn't do it this way as you then have long wires running back to the cabin that are carrying all the load to the fan.

As said above, simply tap a wire into the fan trigger wire from the thermostat housing. Run that wire into the cabin and then wire the other side of the switch to earth. Its the absense of earth that causes the fan to operate ie pull the plug off and the fan will run. This earth wire carries very little load as it only triggers the relay that supplies the fan. I means the fan will operate as per normal using the sensor to turn on/off but you also have an overide if you know your about to run under heavy load.

Chris_14a

Member +
I think I'm going to do it that way :) just need to know which is the fan switch in the thermostat. Any ideas cheers for all the help chris