FAO people with hybrids

Ady

Member +
people with hybrids...

what have you done about an air filter?

i have a hybrid, so the stock intake pipe will not fit onto the turbo inlet. i have been running with mesh instead of a turbo but i am growing wary with all the shitty weather. i cringe whenever i get near a puddle!

i still have air con and really cant be bothered to remove it even though it doesnt work! so what have you guys done with the limited space for a proper air filter??

BTW it an EP82.

theres only really two options mate, do what ive done and do away with the ac. or fabricate some piping to go down and under the ac similar to the route the wepr intercooler piping takes.

mine without ac:

Photo-0185-1.jpg

Photo-0184-1.jpg

Ady

Member +
mmm that definately looks the cheapest option. but i cant be bothered to remove the ac!

i bet the filter looks well coll behind the grill though

it does mater, sounds lovely too!

if u where abit closer i would of drained the ac system for u, after its drained its no more than a two hour job to remove everything else. you'd be supprised at the weight of the system too.

Ady

Member +
if its an easy job then i might aswell lose it. what about the belt? do i need to get a shorter one?

yes mate you'll need a shorter one, dave burwash sells them i think or just do what i did and go to a motor factors and ask for a power steering belt for a uk starlet (non a/c obviously lol) bout £6 i think.

D3N0

Member +
ive been pondering about doing this too, as i'm now thing about going hybrid before going big turbo.

Stryfe_NZL

Member +
yah theyre as cheap as chips... i have one sitting in my starlet waiting for the day that i actually acknowledge the fact that i never actually use the AC (even when its blimmin hot) and finally decide to pull it out.

Jay

Admin
Use a small length of silicone pipe to shield the mesh from debris and the wet.

Deep puddles could still cause obvious problems though.

mg.field

Member +
Alright Chaps!
I got my hks filter fitted direct to the turbo, facing the front, but i find i have a few problems with boost creep, quite bad actually!
Might even have to consider puttin my efi pipe back, Shame coz it sounds great, and gives a fair bit more pull!
Do many others suffer this from re-positioning their filters?
Cheers Mike:homer:

turboflow

Member +
people with hybrids...

what have you done about an air filter?

i have a hybrid, so the stock intake pipe will not fit onto the turbo inlet. i have been running with mesh instead of a turbo but i am growing wary with all the shitty weather. i cringe whenever i get near a puddle!

i still have air con and really cant be bothered to remove it even though it doesnt work! so what have you guys done with the limited space for a proper air filter??

BTW it an EP82.

i have gone along the original route to the right side of the rocker and then done a 90 degree turno down to the bottom of the car with a k@n on the end i have hit deep puddles and it is fine as it is before the wheels so does not get the splash and intercooler and rad stops direct spray,works fantastically, if you wanna see some photos give me an email on owen.down@hotmail.co.uk

cheers
owen

mg.field

Member +
Ady-
No, removed the air con, Free'd up loads of room and weight, Didn't feel i needed it that much to be honest.
In the process of sorting my boost creep issue at the mo.
Hoping that if i put a restriction in the inlet pipe may help. Pain in the arse tho having to do this. Wish toyota would of made the wastegate a bit bigger to start with!
Also, surely a little bit of water going into the intake aint going to be that bad, as long as its not shit loads of water. Free aqua mist!!!!!:)
You find a great difference with your hybrid ady? Is your wastegate ported etc? any problems with creep?
Mike
:homer: