Faulty Pcv or Turbo?

Deano

Banned
Last night I got home to find my car was smoking a Grey sorta smoke and it was intermittent. Today sometimes it was smoking and the next time I started it the car was fine no smoke it's puzzling could it be a blocked pcv valve car is still boosting hard and no power loss or funny noises to report what could it be? :confused:

The car has done 79,200 km's and is due for an oil change as the oil is pretty black only changed the oil 5000 km's ago I always let the car run down for 5 mins and always give it adequate time to warm up about 10-15 mins

Adam_Glanza

Member +
yeah i would say pcv valve sounds a bit suspect, as there cheap would be an idea to replace it.

unless your turbo has started to just seep oil past the seals

Deano

Banned
intercooler pipes seem fine no new oil in them tried pulling that bloody pcv valve off today and it wouldn't budge might as well take it to toyota

Dave.

Member +
Its an easy job really.

You can test to see if its broken if you can get it off too, blow through it, and it should only let you blow through in one direction.

Also, disconnect it from the inlet manifold, and stick a screw/bolt in it to keep it airtight, then bung up the inlet manifold. This does the same job as removing it essentially, and you'll be able to see if the smokiness goes away - eliminating the turbo or the PCV valve as a culprit.

Whether of not you think thats a bit of hassle is up to you really :) I'd just replace the PCV valve personally, but that'll work in diagnosing the problem a bit better

Dave

Deano

Banned
The bloody thing is too hard to remove lol it looks as though it will crack if it is taken out and it already looks like it has a crack on it