Filter relocation query

mr2 rev3

Member +
Hi guys/girls i was wondering well hoping somebody on here has managed to relocate there air filter to the from bumper on there gt but with the air con rad still in place?? as i really dont want to get rid of the air con, but i really want some chatter.:drive:
Rep's will be given if i achieve my goal :kiss: thanks guys.

mr2 rev3

Member +
If it's chatter you're after, remove your dump valve. Be warned though, it will shorten the life of your turbo.

Hi James, thanks for that matey, and im not to fused about the turbo as that theory has yet to be proven :haha: ive tried it with the bov off and i didn't get any chatter and reading on forums you will only get the chatter once you remove the standard airbox and relocate the filter?:(

J25GTi

Lifer
If you want chatter block the vacuum pipe going to the dump valve. Problem sorted.

And no no one has managed it. Just mesh the turbo.

mr2 rev3

Member +
If you want chatter block the vacuum pipe going to the dump valve. Problem sorted.

And no no one has managed it. Just mesh the turbo.

As i thought it cant be done?? that just spurs me on lol, and ive tried blocking the pipe that gos to the top of the bov... still no difference. :confused:

rosso321

Member +
mine chatters lovely with the frontmount and let off the trottle easy with high boost nice sound to the ears

EvilKnievel

Member +
Busy relocating mine to the front bumper using a K&N Apollo induction kit. Will let you know how it went when done. Otherwise just gonna put some plumbing to the front.

mr2 rev3

Member +
Thanks guys, ive been out and plugged the pipe that gos to the bov from the inlet, been for a run..... and a little bit of flutter no where near enough lol
It sounds more winy/whistley if that makes sense?? im hoping its down to still running the standard airbox?

The 'whistle' is the turbo spooling up.

Turbo chatter is caused when charged (compressed) air forces its way back through the turbo, so you need to stop the BOV working (disconnect the vacuum pipe, as said above, or remove the BOV and seal off the pipe where the BOV goes) to get chatter.

Upping the boost will make the chatter noise louder. What boost are you running?

mr2 rev3

Member +
The 'whistle' is the turbo spooling up.

Turbo chatter is caused when charged (compressed) air forces its way back through the turbo, so you need to stop the BOV working (disconnect the vacuum pipe, as said above, or remove the BOV and seal off the pipe where the BOV goes) to get chatter.

Upping the boost will make the chatter noise louder. What boost are you running?

Hi mate, ive just been out and put an old hks air filter that i had for my mr2 been out and now ive got chatter :rockon::rockon::rockon: man it sounds awesome :haha: as for boost its running standard buddy for now lol.:drive:

DaveEG

Member +
Hi mate, ive just been out and put an old hks air filter that i had for my mr2 been out and now ive got chatter :rockon::rockon::rockon: man it sounds awesome :haha: as for boost its running standard buddy for now lol.:drive:

Was just going to suggest fitting an open cone filter or similar, thats the only real way of getting the noise :)

Sigma

Member +
In order to get the chatter noise, you need to stop the air venting when you shut the throttle, ie, remove any form of blow off valve, or stop it operating.

The small vacuum pipe to the BOV can be removed and blocked, this will seal it.

Also, if you remove the dump valve, and then block the hole where it went into the inlet system, aswell as the vacuum pipe.

Chatter, will NOT destroy a CT9 :)

mr2 rev3

Member +
Thanks for the confirmation matey ;) ive got a hot pipe with no flange for the bov, so that will be going on tomorrow, chatter.... :rockon:

Ps, did the scooby make it home ok??

chickenn

Member +
Pipe from the cooler???? witch pipe buddy as i dont have any pipes coming off the cooler.:confused: the pipe for the bov comes off the inlet.

on mine i have a pipe coming off the intercooler to dump valve and a pipe to inlet if u just take ur bov off block the hole on intercooler piping the block the pipe to inlet it should chatter well that what i do on mine :rolleyes: