Fitted Brake lines .....................HELP

blitzep82

Member +
Right, ive fitted a set of four hel braided brake lines today,

ive bleeded the brakes all through, not one of them is pushing air through and i done it rear left, right right, front left, front right.

jumped in the car, fluid level is full by the way, and pumped the pedal, its hard :) just what i wanted.

then i turn the car on, now the pedal when pressed, will go to the floor, when the car is off, give it a pump or two and its hard at the top again!!!!!!!

so why will the pedal go to the floor when the car is on but wont when the car is off?

what is it?

its confusing me........

cheers

Last edited:

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Could be that all your bleeding valves are blocked, we recently had this issue. You should be able to blow through them when you take them off and clean them

Last edited:

madman

Member +
Could be that all your bleeding valves are blocked, we recently had this issue. You should be able to blow through them when you take them off and clean them

x2 ive one constantly blocked but its grand just take it out to bleed the brakes

dac69er

Super Moderator
he said there is no air getting pushed through which would indicate there is fluid getting through????
that would mean his bleed nipples are fine.

as sheldon asked, do you have abs?

also, with the car on the servo gets vacuum on it which decreases the amount of braking force needed to operate the brakes. when you turn the car off and pump the pedal you are getting rid of the vacuum in the servo unit, its normal.

the pedal going to the floor isnt though. try bleeding the brakes with the engine on. i assume you have no leaks?
you may be unlucky and the seals have gone in the master cylinder!

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Your bleeding order is incorrect also ... should be for example Front Left, Rear Right, Rear Left, Front Right.

Sparky

Member +
I always thought it was furthest from the master cylinder to the closest also.

Fitted my Wilwoods on the weekend and took us fucking agessss to bleed them and couldnt get a decent pedal feel even after all that. Cant start my car either as the engine isnt quite finished.

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Doesnt matter which normally, just to prevent the old and new fluid from mixing.

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
but you said it goes to the floor when the car is on??? or do you mean just the ignition? do you have abs????

if so its probably just getting the air out of the pump. you need to cycle it a few times to get all the air out while bleeding