Fitting engine with engine crane, with or without gearbox?

Paddy

Lifer
Going to be putting in my new engine soon, when I've done it in the past I've always taken the gearbox off the engine . Has anyone fitted the gearbox with the engine out then put them both in together? Does it go in alright or is if best to put the engine in the fit the box? Would prefer to for the box while the engine is out

Breno58

Member +
Anytime ive changed an engine i put it in with the box attached, just make sure to angle the box down so it goes in first then lower the engine down and bolt in the mount, then just jack the box back up and bolt it up! I think that way is easier than having to bolt the box to the engine in the bay.

dac69er

Super Moderator
I've always done it together but put it in from underneath as I've found that's the easiest way. I have got the engine in and out that way on my own and Havnt had to mess about removing the bonnet

weeJohn

Lifer
Gearbox and engine together, exhaust manifold and turbo off, power steering pump off and distributor off. If you get the angle right, it goes in easy, set it on the floor, level it off and lift it back up.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Gearbox and engine together, exhaust manifold and turbo off, power steering pump off and distributor off. If you get the angle right, it goes in easy, set it on the floor, level it off and lift it back up.

I do it with everything fitted other than the power steering pump and alternator. You have plenty of room. Why would you take the distributor off ?

tiksie

Member +
I did it like above aswell, everything on except for PS and Alternator, the closest thing to the dizzy is the passenger strut tower which is nowhere near it.

weeJohn

Lifer
I do it with everything fitted other than the power steering pump and alternator. You have plenty of room. Why would you take the distributor off ?

Maybe its a 4WD engine fitting thing, with the transfer box on you have to pass the gearbox down the front of the battery tray, so the dizzy can catch on the top crash bar. I damaged one this way before so now it comes off, 2 minutes throws it in after, its in an easy place to get at and allows you to have the engine quite far forward in the bay, then you can leave the alternator on and save you pissing about with that under the car.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Maybe its a 4WD engine fitting thing, with the transfer box on you have to pass the gearbox down the front of the battery tray, so the dizzy can catch on the top crash bar. I damaged one this way before so now it comes off, 2 minutes throws it in after, its in an easy place to get at and allows you to have the engine quite far forward in the bay, then you can leave the alternator on and save you pissing about with that under the car.

that is why I went from underneath. especially with the 4wd setup