Flat hoses

Danza V :D

Member +
Hey all just recently changed my stat and bled system with heaters on and no rad cap, however the hoses are flat when the engine is switched off? I've bled it twice and it's still doing it and heaters arnt that hot.. Air must be getting in but where I only took the stat out that's it...

dac69er

Super Moderator
sounds like your rad cap is buggered and not allowing it to draw coolant back when everything cools down. or the pipe from the expansion bottle to the rad is blocked. try and blow through it with the rad cap off to check it.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Rad caps near enough new tbh mate. Il check the pipe though.

new items can still fail, so dont discount it. if its creating a vacuum in the cooling system then water isnt getting drawn back into the system as it cools. it has to be either the cap or the pipe leading to the cap.

Member +
I checked the pipe it was gunked up.. Replaced it with a new one and heaters are a lil bit hotter , not belting though. I dont know if the heater matrix is on its way out... they wernt overlly hot to start with.

Member +
I checked them this morning after a cold night. When the engine is cold should the rad hoses be easy to squeeze? i mean like soft..? obviously they go hard when engine is warm.

dac69er

Super Moderator
this time of your it will take you a while to get enough temperature in the system to start building pressure. are you getting coolant blow back into your coolant bottle at all? is the system completely bled of air?

Member +
I replaced the pipe but I checked after a hour cool down and all pipes went flat as pancakes.. I've ordered a new rad cap so I will see how that fairs.. My expansion tank is always bang on full and bever moves all gauges read fine bang on half way.. Im leaning tj the rad cap.. Are they the only two things they could cause thus? Just I've never seen this before.

Member +
The heater pipes are hot to the bulkhead also... Is it ok to bleed a system when the engines still a bit hot? I'm sure it wouldn't matted no as your going to take the air our of Todd system anyway ??

dac69er

Super Moderator
i guess if you open the rad cap the pipes return to normal? have you checked if the overflow pipe to the rad is clear?

Member +
I've checked the pipe and if was hunker up so I put another peice if pipe on.. But even when j take the cap off after a drive it didn't " hiss" you know like its letting out any pressure.. You think it's the cap? I went out and checked on it now baring in mind it had been sat our there all night and the pipes weren't flat but easy to press.. So they intermittently now go flat..

dac69er

Super Moderator
if the pipe was blocked, then have you also checked the cap and drop pipe in the expansion bottle and the stub on the rad that the pipe goes on to. does sound like a cap problem, but worth checking all the pipework is clear. when you removed the cap were the pipes flat and then went back to their original shape when you removed the cap?

when they are flat, if you remove the pipe going to the expansion bottle and blow into it towards the rad then it should re-inflate he hoses.

its the cap or the pipe etc from the expansion bottle 100%

Member +
Checked the pipes as you said.. The rad pipe that it connected on to - clear the tank pipe inside - blocked and put a new pipe on so that could be another cause ... Everything is clear

Last edited: