forging your engine

kirky1

Fresh Recruit
just found out my compression levels are low No1: 144, No2: 137, No3: 143, No4: 141 and theres excessive oil being burnt that u can see coming out of the breather Leakdown test average results were: No1: 31%, No2: 28%, No3:27%, No4: 25%. is my only option to get my engine forged and what parts do i need to replace? piston and rod choice? which rods are the ones u have to cut a notch out? do you need a metal head gasket? any xtra info would be greatly appreciated cheers

Glanza_cl

Member +
i don't no what this obsession with forging engines is at the moment.

you don't 'need' to forge your engine but if you want 250+ bhp then yeah you might as well go for it.

the much cheaper and cost effective way would be to just do a basic engine rebuild. strip down the engine clean skim the head replace rods or pistons if needed along with the rings and rebuild with genuine Toyota gaskets and parts.

uprated metal head gasket is always recommended as there overall better and will last longer but the genuine Toyota head gasket is pretty tough.

sx_turbo

Lifer
from personal experiance mate, those compresion results arent to bad, there all within tolerence.

but yeah, fire me a pm and i can sort you out some prices,

in regards to your questions,

i would recomend a metal headgasket is fitted.

rods well the ones i sell and the scat rods are superb qaulity, i have also heard that the pauter rods are also extremely good.

as for pistons, the wossner and wiseco's are the best, the wiseco's have a bigger cc dish, so they drop the compression more, but this isnt really an issue because if you want to lower the compression you can just buy a thicker gasket.

the scat rods and other types that look identical need the block to be notched, the pauter rods need no notching on the block.

what exactly do you want from the setup?

what turbo are you wanting to run on it, and what sort of boost you wanting to run etc etc,

i will try and help you out as much as i can.

kirky1

Fresh Recruit
i am running a hybrid ct9 at the moment (still in the garage picking it up tomorrow) which obviously doesnt really need a forged engine to run but id rather get forged incase i want to upgrade at some point in the future. i was told this morning it was producing 170bhp @ 0.85 bar with an apexi safc blitz ebc sard fpr walbro 255 sport mani decat etc, i was hoping for more like 200bhp @ 1.2 bar but not sure how far i can turn the boost up with my engine not in tip top shape?

sx_turbo

Lifer
as i said mate those compression results look ok, but it is an old engine.

from personal experiance, 1.2bar is the engine and stock headgasket limit, my headgasket went on the dyno, and everything else not so long after.

for your setup (not because i want your business, i'm speaking from personal experiance) then i would go for wossner pistons and a 1.2mm metal headgasket.

this will drop your compression to roughly 7.85:1 which will quite happily cope with a td04 hybrid @ 1.6bar boost (incase you change at a later date) and will also give good response off boost,

it will also work really well witht he hybrid, because with the hybrid you dont really need to lower the compression much at all,

thats just my opinion.

kirky1

Fresh Recruit
thanks m8 thats a big help, ill probly send u a pm in the near future when ive sorted my finances out and know exactly wot im going to do

Phil

Super Moderator
or, buy 10cc dished wiescos, and ill sell you a trd metal headgasket to bring the comp to stock :)

Phil