front brake problems

MJA

Member +
my passenger side front brake seemes to be constantly dragging.

it's not the normal brake drag, it's difficult to turn the wheel when the car is jacked up, it doesn't spin freely like the other 3.

i can hear it constantly whilst driving, and it's making the disc extremely hot.

it has only started doing it as of yesterday, i've never had a problem with it before.

any suggestions??

Adam_Glanza

Member +
yea sounds like the wheel bearing is knackered or maybe your caliper is slightly sticking?

does it make a kinda whuring noise?

dac69er

Super Moderator
maybe need to rebuild the caliper. could try stripping all the pins and sliders down, cleaning them up and regreasing them. also re-coperslip the pads and work the piston in and out a bit using the foot pedal and then a g-clamp to push it back in.

if that doesnt work its either wheelbearing or full caliper rebuild

Adam_Glanza

Member +
think stick with the wheel bearing if its making a slight whiring noise! as itll be the easier option and cheaper than a caliper rebuild unless you can do it yourself

dac69er

Super Moderator
well if you just try what i said it wont cost a penny and may improve it temporarily at least!

Adam_Glanza

Member +
yea but not everybody is mechanical minded enough to strip there own calipers etc, he may have no tools or anything, and to do that in a garage would be more labour than a quick wheel bearing

dac69er

Super Moderator
guess so, but mja seems like a reasonably capable chap.
its not too bad to do really. only 2 bolts and then removing the sliders and cleaning it all up and then putting it back together

Jay

Admin
A bearing will generally cause play in the wheel so when it's jacked up check it out.

Sounds like a caliper sticking from personal opinion - common enough on older cars. Either lubricate the sliders, strip/repair the caliper or replace it with a working unit. Whatever route suits..

MJA

Member +
thanks people

my dad had a quick look yesterday, turns out the shitty heat/splash guard thing behind the disc is catching on it. probably becasue i bent it whilst changing the track rod end and ball joint lol:flame:

wheel bearing is less than 3 months old anyway