Fuel filter

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
Mine is stuck fast, obviously never been changed. It literally will not come off, I've tried as have 2 mechanics and each time it's ben a matter of the fuel line will twist before the filter loosens so it's had to be "mission aborted". Anyone got any suggestions?

Jay

Admin
Try unscrewing the connections whilst the filter is still bolted to the bulkhead. The pipes can be twisted if the filter is loosened off first as there's no leverage. (Hope that makes sense!)

Nwimie

Member +
needs a quick sharp jolt on a spanner mate i know you have probley tried 50 odd times but keep at it and it will come off eventually!!!!!

mine was a bugger

GP82

Member +
Don't cut it off! You need to use two spanners together. There are 2 nuts on the bottom of the fuel filter, get the right size spanners then hold the top nut with one while you force the other open with the other spanner.

dac69er

Super Moderator
finger and thumb method works well ;)

the spanners may be a spacial pipe size but would definitely be worth buying them just to save you cutting it. may not work but definitely worth a bash i would say

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
Don't cut it off! You need to use two spanners together. There are 2 nuts on the bottom of the fuel filter, get the right size spanners then hold the top nut with one while you force the other open with the other spanner.

Thats exactly how I've been doing it.

Jay

Admin
They are quite tight (due to the fluid involved) so you will need to be brave. It's an akward item to get at properly unfortunately. Don't cut it unless as a last resort.

dac69er

Super Moderator
i had a similar problem on my fuel pump union. rounded it off in the end and just managed to crack it with mole grips. got another assembly off jay (thanks ;)) and its been fine since, comes undone everytime with little effort