fuel tank removal?

dac69er

Super Moderator
looking at removing the fuel tank on my GT over the winter to give it a birthday.

it looks relatively straight forward to remove.
is there anything to watch out for, or any pointers anyone can give me? can it be removed without removing the exhaust?

any assistance is appreciated.

davehart

Member +
Not done this myself but something I want to do to mine to get everything under there rust proofed.

I'd say while you do it take the exhaust off and give all the underside and heat sheilds some attention while your doing the tank.

Jay

Admin
I dropped the tan out of mine for rust proofing duties, still to put it back in.

Just remember to disconnect the pipes to the top of it and it's fairly straightforward mate.

As Dave says, plaster everything to protect the metal whilst it's out. I've given the new tank a coating of stonechip to make sure it stands a chance against the elements.

Jay

Admin
I dropped the tan out of mine for rust proofing duties, still to put it back in.

Just remember to disconnect the pipes to the top of it and it's fairly straightforward mate.

As Dave says, plaster everything to protect the metal whilst it's out. I've given the new tank a coating of stonechip to make sure it stands a chance against the elements.

dac69er

Super Moderator
did you have to remove the exhaust to get yours out Jay?

i wasnt sure what to spray it with? didnt know if stonechip would just fall off if any fuel got on it?

Jay

Admin
Exhaust was already removed but you might be able to slide it out from behind.

I'm hoping no fuel gets onto my stone chip lol

This the tank I removed:

20160820_190755.jpg

And this is the new tank plastered in stonechip:

20160820_190749.jpg

dac69er

Super Moderator
crusty!

mine doesnt look far different to that.

so i assume there is just the fuel and breather pipes from the tank which fit to the fuel sender/pump assembly, then the breather and fuel filler to remove before unbolting and dropping out?

i want to use the car a bit more to lower the fuel level as much as possible before i attempt removal. a full tank is deceptively heavy!

dac69er

Super Moderator
got mine out. was a dream to remove. i had to remove the exhaust though, and my ultra racing rear arb was a pain, i had to drop that too.
fuel pipes can be undone under the car so the fuel pump assembly doesnt need touching up the top end (just the wiring connector needs unplugging)

its really good condition as the car never really goes anywhere, but will prolong it and make it look better by giving it a tart up. the fuel filler pipes were a bit scabby, so it was worth doing them at the same time too.

dac69er

Super Moderator
its taken a while, but have finally got round to cleaning and painting my tank.

cleaned and wire brushed the whole thing. painted it in kurust, a coat of galvanise spray, a coat of black petrol resistant paint, a couple of coats of stone chip and then 3 coats of petrol resistant lacquer.

left it in the boiler house at work to dry for a month.

before:

after:

just need to paint the little bracket bits and then i can refit. its taken me most of the winter to do!!!

Jay

Admin
That looks a proper job. I reckon anyone looking to keep their EP long term should do this as pre-emptive maintenance. Really could prove to be a weakspot once the rust eats in. Seen a few filler necks start to leak too so glad to see you've tackled that as well.

Actually looked quite decent on removal which indicates the rest of the underside should be in good nick too - unlike any of mine!

dac69er

Super Moderator
not quite a professional job, but near enough.

it is really good underneath. thats what happens when you dont use the car and it sits in the garage most of the time ;)