Gas starbo

jf84

Member +
There no advantage to gas,

My dad was going to buy a 4.8 x5 and convert it but gas just is not good enough for it yet.

Disadvantages are, you loose power, fuel cell has to be in the boot so you loose space, it runs hotter so possible to do engine damage

Dads mate had a range rover and had it converterd, had 2 engines in the space of 2 years, it just cracked blocks and constantly boiled up.

Its alot of money for what it is and really dont have any advantages apart from it wont make the hole in the ozone layer a bit bigger lol.

Me and my dad worked it out there is no advantage in fuel saving either, because you loose the power its burning twice as quick. so you may fill your tank up for £15 or something silly but it will only last half the time petrol did.

If you did gamble and you were lucky would you do enough miles for the time you keep the car for it to pay off? Even tho it burns twice as quick as petrol there is no fuel saving just tax saving from the way we looked at it

Maybe someone could correct me from their experience but my dad spoke to servral salesmen at BMW and toyota (my dad is a 4x4 fan :p) So he loves Fuel guzzlers LOL

scotty01

Member +
My works van is a 1.4 gas/petrol combo. The gas tank is small and lasts 300miles costs £20 to fill up. If it's done properly then there should be no issues at all, it runs at the same temp on gas as it does on petrol so thats bollox to say it runs hotter. There is a slight difference in power but i believe it's around a 10% difference. Not worth worrying about tbh.

Dave.

Member +
also with gas wouldn't the lack of exhaust emissions mean there would be nothing to spool the turbo?

I think there will be (more or less) the same amount of exhaust gas, with less harmful gas being emitted, but overall, the same volume...

Dave

Nwimie

Member +
also if your worried about fuel consumption a turbo car isnt the way forward in the first place lol. petrol prices seem to be coming down nicely.

yan

Member +
A fren of mine running his scooby with practically no difference in power and he is saving a lot.... will his engine get damage i mean piston or .....

TurboDave

Member +
There will be very good savings for sure, my old man and brother both have gas cars and save a fortune.

Gas has slightly less energy than petrol so you go around 75% the distance you do on petrol, but since gas is like 50ppl and V-Power is 120ppl there are huge savings to be made, almost half.

Turbocharged cars when set up properly and mapped on gas often produce more power than if it was running on petrol. The gas burns hotter so spool time will be reduced aswell.