gearbox ratios long or short for turbo?

rwdstarlet

Member +
(keeping in mind the cars only used for drag racing)

i could use a bit of help on this should a turbo car be long ratios or short?

because the 4 speed was put in last nite, i thought the gears were going to be longer like say 180km in 3rd which is wat i heard they do but instead its like this : 1st gear- 40km, 2nd gear- 90km, 3rd gear- 140km, and 4th is 190km. the diff is welded would this make a difference? .Thanks lads.

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
A welded diff wont matter. Your ratios will be dependant on your power, yes short gears allow you to accelerate much faster but if you dont have the grip to make use of it then it'll slow you down.

What power are you running now and what power do you want to run in the future?

rwdstarlet

Member +
A welded diff wont matter. Your ratios will be dependant on your power, yes short gears allow you to accelerate much faster but if you dont have the grip to make use of it then it'll slow you down.

What power are you running now and what power do you want to run in the future?

its 210bhp nw and i wont stop til its over 280bhp, its just spinin 1st 2nd 3rd in da dry wit dis 4 speed, never used do dat wit da standard lsd box, i think id b better gettin my lsd box fixed or find a 4 speed wit longer gears mayb , wat ya think lad??

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Your user name has thrown me a little. Is it a KP RWD starlet or an EP FWD?

If its FWD 280hp you'd be better off getting a C56 box (Glanza), it has stock 1st and 2nd gears and slightly shorter 3rd and 4th gears (when compaired the the C52 GT box)

Luckily Toyota made things simple for us there are many final drives from other boxes you can fit into the C52 and C56 boxes to shorten the ratios a bit, you may be able to put a longer final drive into the box your using, I'm not familaire with the ratios in your current box though.

rwdstarlet

Member +
Your user name has thrown me a little. Is it a KP RWD starlet or an EP FWD?

If its FWD 280hp you'd be better off getting a C56 box (Glanza), it has stock 1st and 2nd gears and slightly shorter 3rd and 4th gears (when compaired the the C52 GT box)

Luckily Toyota made things simple for us there are many final drives from other boxes you can fit into the C52 and C56 boxes to shorten the ratios a bit, you may be able to put a longer final drive into the box your using, I'm not familaire with the ratios in your current box though.

sorry lad its a fwd ep91, ya i think il try get my lsd box fixed cos the ratios in da 4speed r way to short for me i dont like it at all. i was hoping the 4 speed would give me longer gears nt shorter ones like.. o wel i learned da hard way. sound lad

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
If you want a bit longer then go for the GT box.

Or do it the cheaper less hassel way and gear her with your tyre sizes.

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
You would need a GT box that has a stock LSD, the standard box is different and requires a different mount and shaft.

Small wheels = short gears
Larger wheels = long gears

weeJohn

Lifer
If you are serious about dragging your best bet is a set of drag slicks for grip. The short ratios wont be to bad at 210 bhp but when you move up from there you will want longer gears.

The tyres should give you at least 0.5 seconds.

rwdstarlet

Member +
If you are serious about dragging your best bet is a set of drag slicks for grip. The short ratios wont be to bad at 210 bhp but when you move up from there you will want longer gears.

The tyres should give you at least 0.5 seconds.

i got slicks but there to skinny 6.5inch. wat width do ya think i should get lad and wat size rim do ya think.??? thanks