Glanza Not Starting..

corofin12345

Member +
we put in an engine in my mates glanza and fired her up, ran perfectly with no issues what so ever.... he was driving down the the road from his house and the car just cut out and wouldnt start... all lights are coming on with "igntion on" then when you go to start it, nothing... not even any clicking from the starter...there is power going to the starter...all earths are secure, all fuses are fine and everthing else works, head lights, hazards, interior light etc etc etc...

we ran out of day light but i just cant get my head around it tbh.. anyone got any ideas? going down first thing in the morning to go at it again but im struggling to see the problem as ive never come across it before... any suggestions would be great

Last edited:

dark_knight

Member +
no-start usual suspects

you could check that:
» the battery is in good health (giving the minimum crank voltage/current)
» the starter relay is getting energized when the key is turned
» the starter itself is in shape

..for most of these cars being 14+ years old, it is likely that the starter brushes have perished and so they're not making contact with the starter coil to turn it. if you have a rubber mallet or some wood, you could tap the sides of the motor a few times as you try to crank. if it fires to life then you will have confirmed that it is indeed the brushes that are dead.

report back with results..

corofin12345

Member +
you could check that:
» the battery is in good health (giving the minimum crank voltage/current)
» the starter relay is getting energized when the key is turned
» the starter itself is in shape

..for most of these cars being 14+ years old, it is likely that the starter brushes have perished and so they're not making contact with the starter coil to turn it. if you have a rubber mallet or some wood, you could tap the sides of the motor a few times as you try to crank. if it fires to life then you will have confirmed that it is indeed the brushes that are dead.

report back with results..

thats all well and good but the car cut out when driving, im getting nothing as you turn the key to start, no clicking or nothing..battery is strong, no fuses blowen, everything else works... going trying the ignition switch next

dark_knight

Member +
engine management relay

when the ignition is on 'ON', do you get the EML/CEL on your dash..? your ecu relay could have packed up as well..

Keenoep82

Fresh Recruit
Would be worth checking the alternator as well. If it's shafted the battery won't be getting any juice and trying to run the engine all by itself...

corofin12345

Member +
have you tried bump starting the car?

nope, wont solve the problem at hand mate plus if that did work it might fry something else... im trying to explain that im getting absolutely nothing as i turn the key to start, no clicking or nothing, the car cut out while driving so its something electrical...

corofin12345

Member +
Would be worth checking the alternator as well. If it's shafted the battery won't be getting any juice and trying to run the engine all by itself...

nothing to do with it mate... cant stress enough that its not the battery... battery starts the engine, alternator charges the battery then

corofin12345

Member +
Wonder is there any hidden kill switches?

another thing that cross my mind cause ive another one here that does have a kill switch but nothing on this one.... pain in the hole at this stage.. writting down the list of suggestions before i go over to the car again tho so keep them flowing

Strange sure have a good mooch for one youd be surprised how well some are done. A mate had an ek 9 that wouldnt start out of the blue pulled alarm out still no joy 2 months later found a tiny wire was being squashed by the seat rail it was leading to a tiny hidden switch under the carpet.

corofin12345

Member +
Strange sure have a good mooch for one youd be surprised how well some are done. A mate had an ek 9 that wouldnt start out of the blue pulled alarm out still no joy 2 months later found a tiny wire was being squashed by the seat rail it was leading to a tiny hidden switch under the carpet.

wank... ya will go tearing and report if i see any trolls or gremlins, have spare ignition switch here just in case

AdamB

Member +
Got all the earths on mate?
Failing that I would check the engine is recieving fuel and ignition. Blocked fuel filter?

dark_knight

Member +
current draw

quick one: when you turn the key to the 'START' position, do your dash lights dim as if something is drawing heavy current from the circuit..?

STARLET N/A

Member +
have you checked that its pumping fuel in? pull plugs out and have a smell when turning over and see if fuel is being injected in.

corofin12345

Member +
things i did there when i went up to the car:

changed fuel pump
changed starter
changed ignition switch
changed alternator
re done all earths

nothing.....

ecu was blowen, changed it and started up straight away