Golf gti turbo

tom_hunt

Member +
My mate is buying a Golf GTI Turbo thats running 200bhp. Think its a 1.8 or 2.0 not to sure. How would this put up a against a Starlet thats running
228bhp with 189ib/ft torque on a drag strip or track?

Tom

Phil

Super Moderator
starlet would be quicker.

my friend has a 180bhp 1.8t with a few bolt on mods probably close to 200bhp i think and its slightly slower of the mark than my gt and about even from a rolling start.

im running just over 1bar with support stuff.

Phil

tom_hunt

Member +
Starlet will be winning thats foresure.

What kind of Golf GTi by the way ?

MK3 or MK4.

What sort of power can you get from these gti's? i.e with standard engine and turbo? My mates claiming 260bhp and a shed load of torque.

Tom

Phil

Super Moderator
golf gti's are slow there a 1.8 turbo but weigh alot and there only 155ish bhp standard! crap!!

the mark 4 gold gti's had a 115bhp 2.0 version a 150bhp 1.8t version and a 180bhp 1.8t version.

dont weigh alot for the car it is size etc and have a lsd standard. but def put it against an equally powerful gt and you win. :)

Phil

Phil

Super Moderator
MK3 or MK4.

What sort of power can you get from these gti's? i.e with standard engine and turbo? My mates claiming 260bhp and a shed load of torque.

Tom

the mk3 didnt have a turbo as standard.

and yes roughly 260bhp and alot of torque. most people would bolt on a tt/anniversary version turbo (ko3s or ko4) 280 isnt unheard of, with mild bolt on mods.

Phil

tom_hunt

Member +
the mk3 didnt have a turbo as standard.

and yes roughly 260bhp and alot of torque. most people would bolt on a tt/anniversary version turbo (ko3s or ko4) 280 isnt unheard of, with mild bolt on mods.

Phil

Ah got to be the MK4. He was saying it was 150bhp standard but its had remap to 200bhp. Just got simple bolt on mods on aswell.

Are they a good reliable car? Dont want him to waste his money if there not.
I tried talking him into a Starlet put he thinks there poo and slow lol untill he sits in mine for abit ;)

Tom

Phil

Super Moderator
yeah thats sounds ok, not my cup of tea, the remap will be a revo/ecoteck/jabbasport chip, which isnt tuned specifically per application not the best idea but it works.

the 150bhp version, comes with the least of the three turbos, the ko3 which is probably on its limits or near them at 200bhp.

my friend works and lives on his farm so it dont see alot of miles, but no problems so far anyhow.

Phil

GTdan

In The Closet
my best mate has the anniversary mk4 1.8T - and its standard, had mine roaded at 134bhp and 163llbs torque - anyway, on his private land (believe it or not it is private land and not saying that for forum use lol) i pull away till around 70mph and then he starts closing the gap.

they dont handle particular great imo.

Matchew

Member +
There very reliable cars and go forever and as every car as long as you keep them regulary maintained, but if they go bang man there expensive

TurboDave

Member +
The starlet will destroy it;

Golf ~164bhp per tonne.

Starlet ~264bhp per tonne.

Ive had a few goes with golfs and tbh I wouldnt waste the petrol on one.

Big_Daddy

Member +
Just to add,

My leon cupra vs glanza

leon: exhaust, filter, intake, stage 1 remap, running at 220bhp

glanza: running @ 170bhp,

Both were next to neck, above 90, i would easily pull away due my higher top torque.

starlet running 228bhp would gap easily due to power to weighth ratio.

richglanzav

Member +
yeh i knew a lad at my old work who had a 1.8T mk4 standard...wasnt as quick as my glanza running 150bhp. think they r quite heavy cars...but they r very reliable, and if ya lower and get sum alloys etc on em quite good lookin IMO...also if ya mates a speed freak then the 1.8T engine is very tuneable, theres a seat ibiza cupra on pistonheads with 360bhp with same 1.8T engine

or a simple turbo upgrade with standard internals will see bout 240bhp no trouble

Idrees

Banned
I had a little run (rolling start) with a Mark 4 Turbo running 230hp. My GT is completely stock, obviously he pulled away but if I think if I was running anywhere near 200hp I would have had it! Nice cars though, and the owner was a top guy. :)

Last edited:

Big_Daddy

Member +
yeh i knew a lad at my old work who had a 1.8T mk4 standard...wasnt as quick as my glanza running 150bhp. think they r quite heavy cars...but they r very reliable, and if ya lower and get sum alloys etc on em quite good lookin IMO...also if ya mates a speed freak then the 1.8T engine is very tuneable, theres a seat ibiza cupra on pistonheads with 360bhp with same 1.8T engine

or a simple turbo upgrade with standard internals will see bout 240bhp no trouble

These engine are very tunable, most 1.8T lumps are forged with power limit of max 320bhp on standard internals. Strong engines, gave my leon a beating and it still drove like it came from the factory. Just hit 100k on it and the remap didnt effect the relaibilty at all.

Big_Daddy

Member +
I had a little run (rolling start) with a Mark 4 Turbo running 230hp. My GT is completely stock, obviously he pulled away but if I think if I was running anywhere near 200hp I would have had it! Nice cars though, and the owner was a top guy. :)

Rolling wise the 1.8T will pull away, but launch off you should have him but once the 3rd gear kicks in he will catch :drive: (alot of experince in these. lol)

danturbo4311

Member +
The mark4 golf turbos are nice cars used to have one but the new mk5 gti turbos are surprisingly quick especially from a rolling start,