good mods but still reliable

jamesroach

Fresh Recruit
Hey guys
Just got myself an ep82 and was wondering if anyone can help me.
I want to spend a bit of money on the engine and i want to know what are the best mods for power but still keeping reliability.
Thanks for your help.

James

A

Animal GT

wel the way it is mate,wen ya start moden a car the reliability jus dropes anyting would be posible to break..but some good mods to the car would be

decat
4 branch manifold
fmic
sard fpr
hks fcd
boost controller
hks actuater

ud be lookin good power der jus make sure wen turning up boost on a car u gett ur fuel rite ;)

Dave.

Member +
Well, its not an easy question answer... but...

Most people get simple breathing mods first, they're an essential for any modified car - Induction kit/mushroom filter (HKS/Apex'i etc) new manifold (many many many available from traders here - Toby, Speedvision, daveburwash, sache @ wepr etc...) and a full exhaust (turbo back or a Cat-back with gutted cat or decat), again, from traders here - you'll probably want to get the suspension sorted too, if it isn't already - previously mentioned traders have STACKS of different options from just springs through to coilovers :)

Next up, more boost, with an electronic boost controller or a new adjustable actuator (and HKS one for example, at around £90) stock fuel cut is at around about 0.85 bar, so 11-12 psi is a good increase from stock (only 9psi) a New intercooler (Front mounted - FMIC) is essential, to keep boosted air temperatures down - or even an uprated Top mounted intercooler (TMIC from an rx-7 or whatever)

If you want to crank it up another notch, get a new ECU, or a fuel computer (apex'i safc or equivalent), even a Fuel pressure regulator, coupled with a new fuel pump and a decent session on a Rolling road to get it running perfectly...

You could even go the new turbo road, with TD04's being popular here (from an impreza) and even a Hybrid Turbo (direct fit, good spool, but not so much high end bhp as a TD04).

In short, as long as whatever you do, you do right, it won't break :p Guys on here run 200+bhp reliably every day, and i am running a fair bit over stock, and get good mpg, and NEVER any real trouble over my last year (at least) of GT ownership :)

Oh, and welcome to the site :)

Dave

Last edited:

tosa2tosa

Member +
listen to dave covered most the important stuff there
doesnt tend to write such essays for new members so count urself lucky;)

nice to have another south west member
welcome to the starlet family:)

Dave.

Member +
lol, i know, i started, then though i might aswell cover most of the basics... probably one of my longest posts ever! :)

jamesroach

Fresh Recruit
i gota say that is exteamly helpfull. thanks for the info guys.
whos GlanzaV196 you made it sound as though you no me?????

glanzaV195

Member +
na not quite, 195 and 196 is the first 3 numbers on are numberplates, not lovers, they still burn gays at the stake in deepest darkest cornwall lol

Dave.

Member +
we still burn for witches out here, how'd you get so far ahead?

Smart usernames then i guess, might get yous two mixed up from time to time though!

seed

Member +
I'd go sort out my brakes first! No point making it faster when u cant stop. Then engine mods....

Dave.

Member +
meh, who needs brakes when you can go really fast?

everyone, thats who, good call seed, it astounds me how many folk never think to touch their brakes when they modify a car for performance, especially when stock starbo brakes aren't that awesome to begin with!

seed

Member +
meh, who needs brakes when you can go really fast?

everyone, thats who, good call seed, it astounds me how many folk never think to touch their brakes when they modify a car for performance, especially when stock starbo brakes aren't that awesome to begin with!

Trust me! I've been thru all that. My first GT was a written off coz it cant brake! So when i got the second GT, brake was the first thing.

C

CaL

mate your gt isnt black with tinted windows is it?a mk2?i saw one in newQey the other week