GReddy style BOV stripdown and comparison

alan_d

Lifer
sorry for this being in the wrong section, perhaps a kind mod can move it to the how to bit?

Basically, its Easter, im off, stuff gets took apart!

I have a GReddy BOV fitted to my mx5, and recently acquired a blatant copy one, so fancied taking them apart for comparison.
My Blue BOV is believed to be a genuine one, as it came GReddy boxed, but even at this, I cant certify that its legit (tbh who cares if it works lol!)

sooooo....

on the left we have the 'genuine' unit, a type RS style, and on the right, the blatant copy of the slightly earlier type s unit.

note the blue one is sandcast, whereas the copy is a lovely polished finish. the outlet mouths are of different length, but both are threaded for the incredibly easily lost mouths.

Again note the spring tension adjusters on top - ive got the blue one slackened right off to get it to work on the mx5.
1.jpg

top down view - again note the difference in outlet length
3.jpg

side view - note the 2nd port on the blue one, this is to connect to pre throttlebody side on external gate setups i believe. The red copy has this port, but the ham fisted previous owner has broken it - still -no issue for us internal gate users!
2.jpg

on dissassembly, you can leave the spring adjusters on the top of the BOV in place, they arnt fastened to anything inside.
Whilst dissassembling the unit, please take care on the final few allen key bolts, the bov is under immense pressure from the spings inside, and could result in you havig a very sore face if the cap is not held down whilst removing the last few bolts.

heres where it gets interesting. Note the copy has the channel for the rubber o-ring seal, but no o-ring - they must have figured that it isnt needed thus saving a fair bit of production cost. The GReddy unit has the o-ring in place.

11.jpg

this is what you will be greeted with upon removal of the top cap.
note the use of two springs inside - low pressure users like myself can remove the inner, lighter, spring and still get good results.

8.jpg

the springs can be simply lifted out, and the seat removed from the top, this leaves you with:

5.jpg

here is the copy valve exploded out:

4.jpg

at this stage you can take the final assembly out, by putting your fingers in underneath the bov and popping the piston upwards, and out:

7.jpg

6.jpg

this will leave you with the empty bodies:

9.jpg

at this stage I noticed the flaws in the cheaper casting:
10.jpg

heres where your money went:
12.jpg

the greddy unit has a much much thicker heavy rubber diaphragm! much more robust, that said the thinner cheaper one is still doing the same job, and GReddy want $80 for a replacement rubber diaphragm!?!?!?!

note the copy has little holes bored through the lower part of the assembly, I assume this is to negate vacuum building on the underside of the more delicate diaphragm?
to strip this assembly, simply use an 8mm socket on the top nut and remove.

and finally, the different springs lined up!
14.jpg

hope this helps you guys!

weakboy2

Member +
if you compare the same dump valves you will notice they are almost identical, the fake type s i had had a plastic poppet valve, also the diaphragm is poor compared to the original.

dac69er

Super Moderator
they both have fake diaphragms 100%.

you are comparing two different style bovs there, they have alot of differences even if you had those 2 next to each other and they were both genuine.

the type s doesnt have an O ring anyway as the correct diaphagm has a lip on it which acts as an O ring seal.

the trumpets are also different between the bovs anyway.

do either of those have GReddy stamped in the side of them?

weakboy2

Member +
indeed, i had a genuine type s with a torn diaphragm, i was buggered if i was paying over 80 quid for a new one from greddy, bought a fake one and used that with the addition of the o-ring, not ideal but worked ok, less travel on the piston was the result though.

Both of those look like fake greddy's to me.... http://www.greddy.com/news/?id=72

I've got a genuine type s here and the diaphragm is completely different to both of yours too.

they both have fake diaphragms 100%.

you are comparing two different style bovs there, they have alot of differences even if you had those 2 next to each other and they were both genuine.

the type s doesnt have an O ring anyway as the correct diaphagm has a lip on it which acts as an O ring seal.

the trumpets are also different between the bovs anyway.

do either of those have GReddy stamped in the side of them?

x2 id say they are both fakes 2
well found wallace
repped u both