having a serious problem with idling

bony123

Fresh Recruit
hi guys

my ep 82 is fully stock,have been facing this problem for abt a month,car idles at 2000rpm,the amazing thing is even the idle screw at the top of the throttle is fully tighten and also the cable is fully set to negative tight,but in this situation the cars idle should be 0 and should stop running :S but still the idle is at 2000rpm but i noticed one thing as my throttle body s fully closed (i mean the round plate) still there seems to be a hair line gap on two sides when i hold it before a light.is that the place where the air gets in when the throttle is fully closed

I have tried the following:
-cleaning icv
-changed all the vacum hoses
-checked the timing

bony123

Fresh Recruit
actually dont know where the wax valve is,couldnt find it under the throttle body,found only connections of vacum and water lines....,can i know that if iacvalve and ic valve is the same thing ?.......would be very helpful if i could know where the wax valve is and do i clean it with a carb cleaner,or it is possible if the butterfly valve is fully closed and if there is still a hair line gap between the valve and the air could pass through that :(

Last edited:

5e colin

Member +
ha ha thats the 1 mate the 1 where the 2 water/vacuum lines go to it controles air flow when stone cold and 1s it heats up by the water temp it closes stopping the air flow, its probably seized or gunked up by old oil from the old turbo

take the tb off an take it off an clean it if it still dont work after u can bypass the whole system ( the only negative is when started from cold u will have to keep the revs up with the pedal untill a bit off temp gets in the engine then she will run on her own )

bony123

Fresh Recruit
is it the thing which has something spring like ?.and is it possible to clean it with a carb cleaner....if it still dosent work may i know how do i bypass it ?......

sx_turbo

Lifer
is it the thing which has something spring like ?.and is it possible to clean it with a carb cleaner....if it still dosent work may i know how do i bypass it ?......

you cant fix it, need to replace the throttle body if it is that.

it could have an air leak from the inlet manifold gasket.