head skimming? how much needs too be done?

danb87

South East England Area Rep
just thought id ask how much im going too have too get my head skimmed for head gasket change, an ideas what the best amount too do is?

i think its in thou? or somin lol

help repped cheers

finx

Member +
as above they will skim it until its flat. normaly this is only a few thou *(ie 0.001")

10" is = to .254mm and would give a small increase in compression but mainly gain torque and responce,
20" = .5mm or there abouts higher increase in compression (still not much) more torque and response again. but required higher octane fuel or a reduction in ignition timing depending on your current tune/set up.
there are gains to be had but you need to speak with your engine builder and once built advise your tuner of such changes to the tune can be made to suit.

if just replacing stock head gasket have it planned flat and that will be sufficent, if its a performance build then i would be considering the above options among other factors.

cheers
Ryan

danb87

South East England Area Rep
as above they will skim it until its flat. normaly this is only a few thou *(ie 0.001")

10" is = to .254mm and would give a small increase in compression but mainly gain torque and responce,
20" = .5mm or there abouts higher increase in compression (still not much) more torque and response again. but required higher octane fuel or a reduction in ignition timing depending on your current tune/set up.
there are gains to be had but you need to speak with your engine builder and once built advise your tuner of such changes to the tune can be made to suit.

if just replacing stock head gasket have it planned flat and that will be sufficent, if its a performance build then i would be considering the above options among other factors.

cheers
Ryan

its just too have a standard head gasket replace for now. im goin too be runing a hyrbid aswel, this should be ok shouldn it?

Texx

Super Moderator
It's best to also check the top face of the block diagonally from corner to corner for flatness. If it's warpage is greater than the maximum allowed (approx 0.05mm) then the block should really be refaced, if left untouched your engine might blow another head gasket shortly after.

finx

Member +
ahh yes, as texx has said also check that the block surface is flat and tru.
in saying that it is very seldom that a cast iron block actually warps

use a straight edge and some feeler gauges to measure the block deck surface

as for you other question, yes stock head gasket and just getting the head planed will be fine with your set up as long as the head is torqued down correctly