Headgasket

lanxter

Member +
Well my head gasket went on the starlet today and I've got it booked in a garage for it doing.

I'm wanting to know what head gasket I should buy and if its worth buying an uprated one or just to use a standard one?

I'm running a td04 at 1.2bar
on standard internals.
On a DTA S60 full standalone ecu.

Also whats the most likely cause for the head gasket going?

My water pump went the other week and the temp gauge went off the gauge but I've drove it for 2 weeks since then and its been totally fine until today.

Thanks for the help

Mark

I think you will probably find that your head is warped due to being at such a high temperature, it would have warped ever so slightly, and slowly a channel would have gone from cylinder to cylinder, or cylinder to cooling jacket. You'll see when you take it off.

For me my head gasket went a couple of weeks after my temp guage went off the scale, my head was warped and I had a tiny channel from the cylinder to water jacket. I also noticed my coolant levels were slowly going down after my temp went up, this was because water was escaping into the cylinder from the water jackets, but obviously only a tiny bit as my car still drove fine.

Ya digg?

lanxter

Member +
Thank you for the reply,

Sounds exactly like mine.

It drives fine at the moment I drove the 40 mile home and the temp gauge didn't move, but I did notice before I set off that the water level had dropped and put put some more water in before the drive home.

Thanks again for the reply.