Help - broken down

EP91_Chris

Member +
Help - broken down - SOLVED

Was on the motorway doing 70mph, the engine management light came on, car shuddered.

Starts fine, as soon as there is any load put on the engine, light flashes and clicking noise comes from glove box area.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

EP91_Chris

Member +
Edged her home, 30 miles of constant cutting out at 30mph. It felt like the engine wanted to rev, but kept cutting.

Just performed a diagnostics and it threw up rpm signal & TPS. - I always get the TPS error code anyway as I don't have one connected. RPM signal looks like the problem as the rev counter was all over the show.

I should also note, loads of flames about 3-4 ft out the exhaust (as described by my mate).

Edit: Just brought it up on Autodata -

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
check your distributor. could be water ingress, damage to the wiring or connector. also check the ignitor and coil wiring for any damage etc.

may I ask why you don't have the tps connected?

Jay

Admin
As I said on my GTA beer-break last night Chris, check the Apexi Thingybob connections. If it's taking a RPM signal that might be your culprit. Not 100% sure what all they latch on to but would be worth inspecting at any rate.

Jay

EP91_Chris

Member +
Went out this morning to have a look. Found the problem within five minutes.

This is where the TPS use to be connected to. I did have it tucked aware, but it has came loose and got caught in something.

As TPS are expensive and hard to come by, I decided to make use of what I had. So out came the Triumph TPS.

I started by bringing up the wiring diagrams for the Starlet TPS.

I had a search for the Triumph wiring diagrams too, and about 30mins later I had this.

Yes it's not tidy, but it works.

Next up, reset the trouble codes, let it warm up and took it for a spin. Bridged the ports again, no error codes at all = win :D

On another note, seems to run better too.

EP91_Chris

Member +
check your distributor. could be water ingress, damage to the wiring or connector. also check the ignitor and coil wiring for any damage etc.

may I ask why you don't have the tps connected?

I never ran the standard TPS as it was causing a lot of bother. It was making the ITB's stick and was just a general pain in the ass. It was plugged in, just not attached to anything.

As I said on my GTA beer-break last night Chris, check the Apexi Thingybob connections. If it's taking a RPM signal that might be your culprit. Not 100% sure what all they latch on to but would be worth inspecting at any rate.

Jay

I've the apexi running off the diagnostics port, didn't bother lifting the feed from the ECU or distributor. It was the second on the list, checked the MAP sensor, then realised the wire for the TPS had gone astray.

Phil

Super Moderator
good save there chris.

hope she runs sweet for you now, any luck on the job front?

Phil

EP91_Chris

Member +
Cheers mate, I hope so too, cant deal with bring stranded on motorways lol

None yet, have a load of applications in, so I'm being hopeful.

Jay

Admin
I'm guessing that's the pic my phone failed to download earlier mate?

Good to see you are using the same approach as me - if anything falls off just replace it with something better! :haha: