Help! Had accident, but dont know the procedure.

Amd1691

Member +
Was parked behind my work and heart the alarm tirggered,
got out and there was dat C**t trying to get out of a bay while drunk
He's drying an X5 and bumped the rear panel, just under the Glanza and scrached the door. Stopped him n he goes its not him, he got back in and reversed into anoder car
So went round his car and found my paint on his bumper, took som shots.
I phnd the police and reported the accident.
I went to a police station only to find out that I have only to fill a thick form and that it. But whats the procedure to report that he was drunk and that he does not get away with it. And insurance wise, what happends next? what to say and not to say? Will that affect my insurance next time I renew as I dont know how it works in UK. Any help wud be great guys. realy gutted rite now.

AdamB

Member +
Seeing as you wasn't even in the vehicle at the time of the acident, I can't see you loosing any no claims bonus you have. Don't quite understand the first part, if he left the seen of an acident then he can also be charged for that as thats illegal also. However seeing as he was drunk, and you were not able to prove this unless the police came to the scene to breathelise him then I don't know where you stand with this.

I hope you get it sorted anyway mate, shouldn't be driving while drunk, and sure he shouldn't be going near anyones car.

Amd1691

Member +
Well the question is, wen I call my insurance to notify them of the accident, are they gona go through all my details when I first registred 3 years ago, coz some details have changed now and Im afraid it might invalidate the policy now.

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
What details have changed?

From your first post, no they will not do him for drink driving as there will be no proof. Did you get any details off him, reg plate? If so you can go to the police to make sure he was insured. If you ring your insurers and claim you will most likely lose some NCB, unless they have an uninsured driver policy. If I were you and it turns out you can't find him I'd pay to fix ir myself and not go through insurance. Even if you claim through his insurance your own premiums will go up.

Amd1691

Member +
Address has changed.
No mods declared.

Im filling the Failure to stop form rite nw, is it worth or is there nothing that I can do to get him to pay without going thru my insurer?

Amd1691

Member +
Well ma address has changed and no mods declared.

I have his reg number n pictures of him just after the accident.
Aparently he comes to the pub next door often n has friends around.

Amd1691

Member +
Had kinda gud news.
Bloke sent one of his friends to tell that he will get the damage fix. Bt hw to make sure that he will get it fixed??

weeJohn

Lifer
If you have his details, name adress and car reg, and the accident has been reported to the police you should be ok. No need to report anything to your insurance company about making a claim if he has agreed to repair it at his cost.

If he pisses about, tell him you will report it to your insurance compay, and it will be fixed by one of their recognised repair shops. This will kick him into gear as he will have to report that to his insurance company, pay the excess on his policy and he will know it will affect his policy next year.

He knows nothing about your details so stay confident about putting it through the insurance if he doesnt fix it, get him a quote from somewhere you trust to repair it and give it to him.

You should notify your insurance company about your change of adress as it could affect your premium, also your mods. If your mods are not visible from outside the car then if it goes through the insurance, if an asessor comes out to look at it, make sure you are not there and have the keys with you.

Think you should be ok this time.