help:losing oil

ragz

Member +
im starting to lose my love for the GT problem after problem

had the car in for MOT the other day all went well until they were doing the emmisions test

the car past eventually but when i moved tha car outta the garage i noticed a patch of oil on the floor quickly stuck ma head under and found a few drops at the bottom of the gearbox

there after it was alright for a few days until today at the car wash same thing

its defo engine oil as its losing it bit by bit, booted it off the lights to see smoke parked up outside my house n it was oil dripping off the gear box onto the exhaust

i fink its the rear crankshaft seal but would like to know what everyone else thinks

thanx

ragz

Jay

Admin
Five times out of ten it's the crank seal but quite often it can be a leak from the sump (the seal deteriorates after a decade or more of use).

Clean the area and see if you can pinpont it further. If you can't it would be worth getting the sump removed and resealed in case that solves it. Given the age of the engine it would do it no harm.

If that doesn't solve it or if you start experiencing clutch slip then replace the crank seal.

Jay

dac69er

Super Moderator
if the rear main seal hasnt been done i would say that is the culprit mate.

bit of a pain as you need to have the flywheel, clutch and box off but if it needs doing it needs doing.

dantheman

Member +
yeah all depends on what kinda sealent you use on the sump, have you checked to see what they used? as theres quite a few sealants that dont actually fully cure and are no good for sealing sumps with

ragz

Member +
iv always used the same sealant never had a problem before

but will take it off n re seal it just to make sure

Sean_GT

Member +
Check the oil feed to the turbo mine was cracked and leaking all over the gearbox and exhaust causing the exhaust to burn it off and create smoke had been doing it for months untill it got realy bad so i got underneath and checked it out i always thought it was the crank seal until i checked.

ragz

Member +
already checked the oil feed pipe thatught that was the culprit at first
the oils been burning on the pipe just below were the block mates to the gearbox

Rory

Lifer
Check your Cam cover is sealed properly, and also the Dizzy seal on the shaft.

Had this problem before.
Oil runs down, then around the box, then drips right below the crank.