Help: low idle broken "EFI" pipe question

Toplap

Lifer
Ok well yesterday i had my roomate take my car to his shop, being that he is a toyota tech. he did a standered timing belt, tensioners, crank/cam seals and alt/water pump belt. So good new is my car no longer pisses oil and no more tensioner noise. Bad new is when he got it home the idle was very low. It normally idled at 900-1000 rpms before the service, which is high, but never gave me any issues. now its around 500rpms and the car is very sluggish. :(. i noticed this morning when driving it that the bypass valve was much louder then normal and the car felt like it wasnt holding boost very well, even though the gauge reads 9psi. I pulled over to find out that the Bypass valve has broken loose from teh EFI pipe!.....my roomate assures me this would not cause the low idle, but its really the only thing i could find that was different. would the hole in the efi pipe and the lack of bypassed air back into the intake cause my car to run rich or low idle like that?

DSC02178.jpg

He also installed a boost gauge and said i had a loose vaccum line on the wastegate he fixed. I wonder if maybe he used the wrong vac source for the gauge?

DSC02187.jpg

DSC02186.jpg

would any of these sensors being unplugged be a problem? i think most are fromt eh 5efe that arent needed, as its never ran bad before, just leaked oil

DSC02185.jpg

DSC02184.jpg

DSC02182.jpg

DSC02181.jpg

DSC02180.jpg

DSC02177.jpg

Car is a 1993 GT swapped Paseo

DSC02191.jpg

DSC02190.jpg

DSC02193.jpg

dac69er

Super Moderator
low idle and sluggishness is probably becuase he has got the timing wrong. the efi pipe being damaged like that would make no difference.

those bits are meant to be blanked off as its to do with the idle up for the aircon and is not needed if it has no aircon.

as for that sensor, no idea. itll only plug in one place so try it. the one on the transmission should be connected as that is the reverse light switch, the one near the slave cylinder looks to be the cat temp sensor (so not needed). as for the connector near the fusebox, im not too sure, maybe aircon related but i dont recognise it.

hope that helps

Toplap

Lifer
hmmm...thats not good. How will i be able to tell that he has the timing off? he matched both belts even counting each tooth on both belts 3 times and counting 124 teeth. is that correct? i know the first 5e bolt i tried was 3 teeth too big and we didnt use it. is it even safe to be driving around like that then?

Jay

Admin
That break in the pipe will affect the turbo slightly and it will draw in unfiltered air. I would seal it up to be 100% sure it isn't an issue.

Ask him if he set up the timing after replacing the belt - you would be surprised how many just mark it before hand and don't recheck it afterwards.

Toplap

Lifer
That break in the pipe will affect the turbo slightly and it will draw in unfiltered air. I would seal it up to be 100% sure it isn't an issue.

Ask him if he set up the timing after replacing the belt - you would be surprised how many just mark it before hand and don't recheck it afterwards.

:(

well i bought some epoxy sealer that i will be repairing it with tomorrow when its not raining hopefully.

He assured me he checked and rechecked, but there is no way to really know. I do trust him as he is a good friend and is an ASE certified master toyota tech.....so its not like its his 1st or even his 100th timing belt job.....is the 4e belt 124 teeth? maybe somehow its just the wrong belt. I love this car, but its such a pain sometimes

dac69er

Super Moderator
however good you are you can all make mistakes. dont rule that out. get him to check the timing again, the number of teeth may not be the issue, may have just got one of the top pulleys a tooth out or something

Toplap

Lifer
ok i'll have to have him take it in on monday again if he can. i really hope that fixes it. thanks alot guys, we'll see it that solves her for me :)

Toplap

Lifer
ok guys i checked the timing with the covers off and 19 socket turning the crank.....looks to me like the belt is off my just a tooth. looks like its retarded a bit....that would explain the sluggishness.......lets hope thats it, i'll give it a go when it stops pouring here a bit. thanks again