Help with a 4E-FTE

pwnd

Fresh Recruit
Hey All,

A faulty sump plug meant I lost all my oil real fast while the engine was running and my engine started making some funky noises.

Some friends and I stripped the engine down and discovered two bent conrods and a seized bearing on the crankshaft. These have all been replaced along with new rings.

We've got the engine back in the car and it runs okay however at about 2K RPM a knocking sound can be heard and it gets louder as the RPMs increase.

If we fully retard the timing (twist the dizzy as far anti-clockwise as it'll go) the noise disappears but the engine has no power at all so we've had to reset the timing back to 10 degrees below top dead centre.

The first thing we checked was the knock sensor but that seems to be okay and I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and knows what might be causing it?

A friend suggested that the year old fuel I have in it might be causing detonation? I'm going to siphon the tank and try new gas - does this sound plausible?

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
well yeah, did u regrinf the crank? & get oversizes bearings?

did u torque it propperly?? it could b the old fuel but it also could b a blocked injector... also typically a problem..

checked ur ignition system etc?

thx
kon

well yeah, did u regrinf the crank? & get oversizes bearings?

did u torque it propperly?? it could b the old fuel but it also could b a blocked injector... also typically a problem..

checked ur ignition system etc?

thx
kon

u NEED to have the block,crank and rods checked throughly
when u knock an engine u dont simply put in new bearings and hope everything is well.....i assume u used the right "marked/size"bearings...that's why its still knocking........more than likely its crank damage.....may either need polishing, regrinding, etc

PS...if u put in a 2nd hand crank....make sure to get the correct size bearings and main caps if u can